Funny things patients say ! - page 3
by TAM | 212,061 Views | 307 Comments
While working in the emergency room I was taking care of a 90 year old lady who came in by wheelchair from a local rest home. Her complaint was right leg swelling and we found an obvious deformity of the femur but she denied any... Read More
- 10Jun 28, '01 by swyswyWorking in L/D, I had a pt march up to the desk one morning, dressed as cute as could be, hair and makeup perfect, and announce, "its my due date. Here I am!" (needless to say, NO criteria for admission!)
Gotta love those poor girls in labor who can't wait to get their 'epidermals' to help ease the pain of their 'contraptions'...
Oh, yeah! When asked where their pain is, they'll tell you its in their 'eucharist'...Last edit by swyswy on Jul 2, '01
- 31Jun 29, '01 by BrandyBSNI just finished my second semester of clinicals. I was working with a little girl, im not sure of her age, but she was in preschool. I came in and told her mom and her that I needed to draw a little blood for a test. The little girl handed me a red crayon and said "I'll draw blood too", and proceeded to "draw blood" on a piece of white paper.
- 12Jul 18, '01 by aimeeeWhile working in LTC I had a little lady with dementia who used to think that practically everyone she saw was one of her family members. She was also quite hard of hearing. One day as she sat in the hallway a CNA wheeled an elderly gentleman past us and she asked me "Is that Henry?" (her long deceased husband). I said "No, that's Earl!" She gave me a very strange look and then when another staff member walked by she pointed at me and said to her "She says my husband's a girl!"
- 4Jul 19, '01 by prmenrsThis is for Brandy--You may already know this--that is a really good example of "concrete thinking". (see Piaget)
My 17 y/o son is an ex-premie who has a number of physical and intellectual challenges: he is the world's champion concrete thinker, and he cracks me up regularly with his interpretation of the world. When he was 9, he had a shunt revision, and a tech came in early the next am to do lab work, he asked me later, "what does that mean, Mom, draw blood on me?" He was really puzzled by it.
He refers to the CAT scanner as "that big donut". He also prefers blond nurses: "She's a blondie, Mom!", he tells me!
- 15Jul 19, '01 by rowbucksI work in a dementia/special care unit. There is a 94 y/o lady who is a RN. She always tells us. now remember, if anyone gets sick, you come and get me. I'm a nurse.
She always tells the other nurse (who is a LPN) "Do you know what LPN means? LETS PLAY NURSE!!" That just cracks me up.
- 6Jul 20, '01 by misti_z80 year old disoriented pt with foley...
"I'd get out of this bed and into the chair if this darn 'pecker' would get out of the way, it's not doing any good anyway" She's holding the foley tubing while telling us this one morning.
We all still laugh about this when we tell it to someone new.
- 6Jul 21, '01 by donmurrayOne confused older gentleman, with a memory span measured in seconds, fixed on me as I was trying to catch up with some paperwork. After asking several times when the next bus was due, and being told that he was in a hospital, he went off, to return yet again, but with a new question. "Why am I here?"...... " Because you've been having trouble with remembering things lately" He turned away to leave, then spun back, before he had time to forget, and announced " I don't recollect that!" He cracked me up so much I changed jobs!
- 7Jul 28, '01 by debbyedThe other night I received a Phone call while working in the ER. It was from a frantic older lady who was yelling to be heard over the sounds of breaking glass and cursing. She said she needed help because her husband didn't have any sugar in his blood and he was going crazy. She wanted to know what number she had to call to get 911. Honest to God! When I told her to dial 9-1-1 she said "Yes young lady, that's who I want now tell me their phone number!" Eventually I got her to understand and when the Medics got there her husband was unresponsive with a blood sugar of 12.