Hi, MS here and I AM an Alcoholic - page 2
by Diamond Nurse 2,431 Views | 18 Comments
The nutshell version. drunk since age 16 gave away a beautiful house and a husband who I loved, but not as much as I loved tequilla and beer. Left hin took 2 years to get sober for 4 years (the promices were comming true for me)... Read More
- 0May 1, '08 by Diamond Nurseupdating my story..
in Michigan 3 DUI's in a lifetime is a felony, punishable by 1-5 years in jail.
I went to court yesterday and accepted a plea bargin.
will be incarcerated for 30 days (insert freaking out here)
told my boss, who can not hold my job for me
can't blame them as they held it for four months while I was in rehab and then while I was getting started with HPRP ...
have to report the felony to state
who will be suspending my licence to practice
I am going to call my HPRP rep today and will update as info is available.
thanks for reading
- 1May 1, '08 by TweetyWell, I guess 30 days is better than 5 years.
Hang in there. All you have to do is stay sober, that's what's most important today. I don't mean to trivialize or sound trite, but just stay sober today not matter what and things will be o.k. Not easy, but things will be o.k. if you stay sober.
Good luck and keep in touch.
- 1May 1, '08 by studently42Hey Marie, thanx for the update. I'm glad that your resolve about what you need to do doesn't appear to be shaken. Staying sober in AA is the only thing that helps me grow through pain and it will help you get through this. I hope that your nursing career isn't damaged too badly and after a time you can look back and see that instead of this being one of the worst times in your life, maybe it was the best thing that could have happened. My loss of a ten year marriage, while devastating at the time, gave me too much pain for the alcohol to work on it.If I hadn't slammed to bottom as hard as I did, I would have never sought help through first AA and then my Higher Power. My prayers are with you, please let us know how it is going.
- 1May 2, '08 by Ginger45Hi Maria,
I am so sorry. You must have been in a lot of pain. I would be scared too. It is very brave to have the nerve to post it here though. We all have our vices and our way of coping with all the stress. You are amongst friends here. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I have heard that AA does wonders, accept help. We all need it sometimes. God Bless you, ginger
- 0May 23, '08 by Diamond NurseI can't tell you how bad I feel. I am going to jail in 12 days for a third DUI which in my state is a felony. I am sentanced to 30 days but it will prob. be less I am told.
My job can't be held since I have used up my FMLA time (12 weeks) while I was in rehab and getting my "safe to practice act" release from counseling. Now as if jail isn't enough I will have to report myself to the state board of nursing and my licence will be suspended, for who knows how long. I am already involved with the health professionals recovery program so that is in my favor.
Of course I won't be driving anywhere for a few years as my driving licence is revoked, and yet I was hangin on.
A couple weeks ago I started having symptoms of what I thought was anxiety, ie: dropping things, saying the wrong words in conversation, having to think every step out of what ever I was doing, ect... so I went to the doctor. He sent me for an MRI which I now find out shows lesions in my brain and changes in the white matter. suggestive of MS. I am still saying the wrong words and feel tired and weak. Doc put me on medical leave but I think I am fired anyway. I will go in Tuesday and find out from human resources whats going on, I called EAP but of course it's the holiday weekend and noone is available.
I blew off my counselor today because I would rether stay home and rest. I hate group and didn't go last wed. (the day I found out what my MRI showed)
can anyone understand ???
- 1May 24, '08 by TazziRNYes, we can understand. We can't do much to help other than be here for you when you want to talk, and we will be here when you get out. You can do it. Jail won't be nearly as bad as drinking, because with jail you have an end date in sight. You can do this. I'm so sorry about the MS dx, but there have been a lot of advances in treatment.