It was a night shift with one Chinese senior nurse, me, and a casual nurse from another unit. The Chinese seinor nurse has been working for our unit about 5 yrs and famous for her dominant personality.
She was picking up every thing I've done during the night shift.
1) she was calling me why I didn't organized pt 28's chart,and I'm not doing my job,so I told her because she is not my pt, and I've never had that pt. She never apologized at all.
2) she picked up my handwriting and telling me that my "mg" doesn't look like "mg", and it could be a big deal. I agree with her that it could be a big deal, but "mg" was the only measuring unit on that chart, so you can't be confused with "mcg" or "g" , and I don't think my "mg" wasn't too bad comparing to some other nurses' or doctors' writing.
3) A casual nurse's pt's antibiotic was done, I heared the IV was beeping, but it needed to be flushed with NS, so I put 100 ml of NS, but didn't take the medcine lable off from the burette. I just told the casual nurse that pt's antibiotic was done, and I put 100ml of NS to flush, so she could take off the label after the flush, and she said thank you. However later on, the senior nurse was shouting at me why I didn't take the label off, and it made her confused. I told her that I already talked to the pt's nurse about it, but she looked quite angry at me that I didn't tell the charge nurse about it.
4) It was napping time, and I asked the senior nurse whether she will take her break and use blanket, and she said no. So I told her that I will dump everything in the linen bag after I use it, and I did. Later on, she was shouting at me that I dumped the only blanket that we had our unit, and because of that she can't take her break. She looked really angry, so I just went to another ward and get her blanket, and she said she is too busy to take her break.
5) After I took my break, I came back to our unit, and I just sat about 3 mins, then the senior nurse was talking to me why I don't check my pts immediately when I got back to the unit. She was telling me that about one yr ago, a nurse didn't check the pt for 5hrs, and the pt got a cardiac arrest and died. I checked everyone's vital sign before I took my break, and I do check my pt at least every 1-2 hrs, so I told her so, but she was telling me that that's not good enough for her.
6) I put my feet on the chair. It was just me and her, and my legs were killing me, and she told me not to do it infront of her because it's unprofessional. I even saw other nurses taking a nap, cutting their nails, and watching movies.
7) I asked her whether she needs any help. I just tried to be nice to her, but she was "Stop asking me!! If I need help then I will tell you!!!"
Besides she never answered other pt's call but hers only, and the other nurse was new and unexperienced plus hard of hearing with her hearing aid, and she couldn't give meds by herself. So, I was running everytime whenever pts call or IV beeps. I didn't say anything, and did my best to be polite, but I couldn't hold it anymore when this happened.
8) The other casual nurse's pt was confused lady and I tried to give her scheduled aspirin but she spitted it out several times. It was 0600 and my other pts were calling me, so I asked the nurse about the pt's temp, and it was fine. So I meant to put "pt refused" on the chart, but I got busy, and she wasn't my pt, so I forgot.
About 30 mins later, pt got 38.0 fever, and the casual nurse told the senior nurse, and she was shouting at me why I don't do my job. And that was it, I couldn't hold anymore.
I gave pt's aspirin and went to a bathroom and cried, but AM staff and my manager saw me and asked me what happened.
I was emotionally and physically wiped out, so I rambled little bit, but couldn't explain it quite logically. I just told my manager that I don't mind working with that nurse and I don't have any problem with her.
I feel like I should go to my manager and explain it better. I talked to the casual nurse and she told me that she will back up me, just in case my senior nurse talk something against the truth.
Am I harrassed at work??? I just feel so terrible and incompetent, since she was shouting at me that I'm not doing my job right whenever she had a chance.