Didn't get senior practicum in NICU
- 0Feb 26, '13 by MnstnI didn't get my senior practicum in NICU. I was placed in pediatric medsurg despite showing extreme interest in NICU throughout school. Will I still be able to be hired or get a residency in NICU? I feel like my school has just shut me out of jobs and crushed a dream I've had forever.
- 1,325 Views
- 0Feb 27, '13 by dah dohI didn't even get an ICU opportunity in nursing school, but do ICU now. Just hang in there! Once you get your license, you can try for a NICU position. Even though you aren't particularly interested in the internship you are assigned to, if you do well, it may lead to a job or at least a reference.
- 0Feb 28, '13 by CalabriaYour experience is what you make of it. NICU wasn't even on my radar when I did my practicum in L&D, and I didn't even think of applying there when I got hired into my first job (OB). It was after working for 2 years that I decided to make the jump to NICU. Make yourself look marketable when you apply for jobs. Show up eager to practicum and make a good impression so that you build your references.
As an aside, many of my coworkers have backgrounds in Med/Surg. You'll be fine.
- 0Feb 28, '13 by MnstnThanks for the feedback. I am applying to nurse residencies in Texas (all over, though I am from Houston). Fortunately I do have some medical contacts in Houston to use as well as several references from clinical professors. I will do my best in my senior practicum and hope that I can get a reference from my nurse.
- 0Feb 28, '13 by serenitylove14I didnt get the NICU either, I got put in the Education Department and LOVED IT!!!! Now Im going back to school for my Masters in Education. Keep an open mind. I had a clinical on a Cardiac Peds Unit and I had farely new babies as patients less than 6 months. They are still just as cute and cuddly believe me, lol. Keep an open mind you may like it!