Should I take pre-reqs at CSN or UNLV?
- 0Nov 27, '10 by majorjamesGetting ready to start on my RN nursing pre-reqs. I live in Las Vegas. Should I take the pre-reqs at CSN or UNLV? Other than cost, what is the difference between the courses? Any other suggestions for someone who is just starting out on the RN education journey?
- 0Nov 28, '10 by PacificRimAnother choice could be Nevada State College. CSN has substantially lower tuition than UNLV. I became unemployed in July and wanted to finish my prerequisites as quickly as possible. I was hoping to take AP I, APII and Microbiology at CSN fall semester of 2010. Unfortunately, they did not accept my previous biology courses as prerequisites for these courses and required me to take BIO 189. To speed things along, I'm taking these courses online, from schools outside of southern Nevada.
- 0Dec 15, '10 by puravidaLVNSC is the better even though its in the middle for price. Your science labs are part of the class so your not FORCED to sign up for a lab and then get stuck in a room of 160 people during lecture.
Unless you like having your lab at 7am and class at 3 pm, but i'd rather just have one class to go. No paying for parking, or possibly having to go to one of three campuses to take the lab and go to another for lecture.
- 0Dec 16, '10 by Cupcake89121I agree with puravidaLV. I have not taken classes at UNLV, but I took 3 Biology classes at CSN and 1 Biology and 1 Chemistry class at NSC. I much prefer NSC partly b/c I think that selecting separate lab & lecture dates/times is a huge inconvenience. I imagine the class sizes are much larger at CSN and UNLV than at NSC, so you get more personal attention from your professor at NSC as well. Also, unless your NSC professor is part-time, they are all working to get tenure.
- 1Dec 22, '10 by CSN_advisorI suggest getting the pre-req BIOL classes anywhere you can - dont look at price so much, but at CSN and UNLV it is tough to get BIOL189.
NSC is a good option if you dont mind the drive to HendersonLast edit by CSN_advisor on Dec 22, '10 : Reason: spelling
- 0Jun 12, '11 by vegasmommaI took 189 and chem 110 at CSN and liked them fine but I had my 189 lecture at the charleston campus and the only lab I could get was at the cheyenne campus so that was kind of a pain. Plus having 2 different instructors was confusing as sometimes they gave conflicting info. I loved my other pre-reqs at NSC because lecture and labs were in same course time, same instructor. The quality of instruction was very good in both schools.