What is the highest temp you have seen?Register Today!
- by momthenRN Mar 27, '10The highest temperature you have seen and did they survive? How long can a person sustained a high core temp say at 105 or higher?
- Mar 27, '10 by ghillbertEveryone I ever had with a super high temp had uncontrollable sepsis and didn't survive.
- Mar 28, '10 by tookdaddyAnd as far as how long you can survive with a high temp... It depends on your health and metabolic status before the disease process set in. Some people are able to compensate better/longer than others. I have seen super high temps last for days, and I have seen them last for just a few hours (before pt dies).
- Mar 29, '10 by meandragonbrettpts with neurological insults will often times have temps >105.
- Mar 31, '10 by detroitdano104, really septic patient. Can't remember if they lived or died.
Neurogenic fevers are very awkward. I work in a medical ICU, not neuro, so our docs will culture anything the patient looks at before giving up on it lol.
- Mar 31, '10 by Da_Milk_of_Amnesia105 with extensive head/neuro trauma after a head-on MVA with a tractor trailer.
- Mar 31, '10 by imintrouble104.7 Out of state truck driver was driving wacky, pulled over by cops. He was sick, had chills, and turned the heater up full blast. He had a temp from whatever infectious process he had, then turned the heater up, windows up. Did I mention it was in July? The temp rapidly came down. 104.7 was what he presented with in the ER
- Apr 2, '10 by leesespiecesI just had a 19 yr old F admitted to ICU 5 days post partum with a Temp of 105.7. Turned out she had sepsis from retained products of conceptions. We acted quickly and aggressively and she did fine in the end.
Once saw a really sick pt (not mine) who had mult issues all of which I can't remember. He did have malignant hyperthermia Tmax was 106.7!!! We attempted to Tx with Dantrolene (boy is that fun to give!) He died within the next few days.