I have a couple questions regarding how your icu's do rn shift reports. I am looking for a way to improve our communication between the Rn's (the md's are a whole different issue
Communication between all the members is so important, and in my opionion the value of good communication is very underestimated!! ALL of your suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated
1. Do you guys use a standardized "kardex"?? How does it work, does this stay with the pt during their stay?? Is this a separte tool for the nursing staff with the up to date pt info, all in one place......gtt's, allergies, etc??
What does it look like??
2. If you do use a kardex.....I would love to see some examples, anyone willing to send a copy??
3. How effective is your current technique?? What would you change or think would improve it??
4. Do you think Rn to Rn interaction improvment would improve pt safety and care?
5. Do you think communication between Rn's is a problem??
I FIRMLY think that the only way to make changes to improve the ICU is to start with the BEDSIDE RN's........we are the one's who know where the problems are and we are the ones who can MAKE the changes.