Do RN's insert EJ's at your hospitalRegister Today!
- by Five&Two Will Do Mar 8, '12Hello all. We are working with the PICC placement nurses to develop a competency for EJ insertions. I wonder what size catheters, length included, taht you have seen used for this. Does anybody have a link to good policies for this procedure?
- 5,221 Views
- Mar 8, '12 by BiffbradfordJust to be clear (since so many different abbreviations are tossed about on these pages) ... EJ = External Jugular?
In 15 years, I've never seen an RN put in a central line.
- Mar 8, '12 by sapphire18Quote from BiffbradfordI've never heard of an EJ central line- only I(nternal)J central lines. We only do peripherals in the EJ, and only the MD (or EMS) can place those. Wish we could though.Just to be clear (since so many different abbreviations are tossed about on these pages) ... EJ = External Jugular?In 15 years, I've never seen an RN put in a central line.
- Mar 8, '12 by Five&Two Will DoI am not talking about central lines. We just need a better alternative for patients that are difficult to maintain access on. A short term bridge until central line placement can be acheived. This hospital is small and the PICC nurses do not take call or work on the weekend.
- Mar 8, '12 by turnforthenurseRNI have seen nurses put peripheral IV's in the EJ as a last resort if peripheral access cannot be established elsewhere.
Advanced practice nurses are the ones who put in our central lines for us.
- Mar 8, '12 by BelgianRNAn EJ is considered a peripheral site in Belgian law and as such we can place those as RN's without an MD order even if we feel the situation requires it.
In my institution it isn't routine to place EJ's. I'm one of the few RN's that will place them during emergencies if I feel we need something closer/easier. Generally I'll try to get a 12G - 16G in if possible. No guideline or official policy is in use regarding the placement of EJ's.
- Mar 8, '12 by One1Yes, some of our nurses put EJ peripheral IVs in if we cannot get other access. We use 18g for EJs.