2011 grads..jobs?Register Today!
- by CorazonDeOro May 5, '11How is the job market looking for all you new grads in the Detroit area? I graduate next week and have gotten nothing but rejections so far. I work at a Detroit hospital but they do not hire RNs without a license anymore, so I am not guarantee anything just yet and I am getting anxious. Just wanna see how it is going for recent grads....
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=561745©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,209 Views
- May 5, '11 by a_damselI graduated last year, but I don't believe the job market has improved since then. It's about the same or worse... All I got was rejection letters before I got my license. In fact some hospitals ask pre-screening questions such as "are you currently licensed." Answering NO pretty much automatically disqualifies you. Once I got my license I got 4 interviews. Granted it took 4 months to land a job irregardless, so be mindful that it may take awhile to get hired.
It's hard and discouraging at times, but possible. Just ensure that you follow basic job-search etiquette: Fill out apps completely, always have a cover letter and a fine tuned resume, if you'd like to work in tele/icu/er etc. get your ACLS (if you can afford to, it's about $200+), since having ACLS I've gotten more interviews in those specialties and even med/surg, and send a thank you card to whomever interviewed you. When I got hired my manager specifically mentioned how she liked the card.
- May 6, '11 by cjbacjbaHi, I graduated last week.... not many places are hiring GN's. I have put out about 20 apps and no good news. I know about 5 people who got hired, but they already worked at that hospital. I am going to concentrate on studying for NCLEX and then I will start applying. Good luck!
- May 6, '11 by CorazonDeOroThanks for the input! I am crossing my fingers that my current hospital and manager will help me get a position, I guess I am lucky to work for one of the bigger systems in the area.
- May 9, '11 by excited08don't worry you'll get a job, look at a nursing home the pay is better starting out and you'll get lots of experience and lots of patients!!! its worth it get your experience then move on I did!!!!!!
- May 17, '11 by CorazonDeOroThanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like my boss is going to have a job for me once I pass NCLEX. So relieved!
- May 23, '11 by angelgregIn regards to new grads in mi... i just graduated! I was thinking of looking into long term facilities, does anyone have an idea what the pay is vs the pay at hospitals?
Thank you in advance
- May 29, '11 by tewdlesin Michigan the pay at LTC is better than no pay...just sayin...
- Jun 13, '11 by cmorales79I believe that hospitals start out around $24/hr for RNs. I just passed the NCLEX-pn and got hired in LTC. I started off at $22/hr as an LPN.
- Jul 27, '11 by Sirena922Quote from cmorales79Cmorales79, if you don't mind me asking, what school did you attend for you LPN? I'm going to inbox you my other question.I believe that hospitals start out around $24/hr for RNs. I just passed the NCLEX-pn and got hired in LTC. I started off at $22/hr as an LPN.