Northern MaineRegister Today!
- by dnw826 Jul 5, '06I have wanted to move to the Maine area for years. We just moved to North Carolina, and I hate it. Between cost of living, ants, the heat, and the attitudes, I can't handle it. And the unemployment!!!!
But I have always wanted to move to Maine, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Vermont, or New Hampshire. I am an east coast girl who loves the winter and fall.
I appreciate reading all of these honest comments about living in the area. But, honestly, I have lived so many more places that were a thousand times worse. I would like to move to northern maine. Does anyone have any suggestions for northern maine areas that are accessible to a health food store (dd has food allergies), hospital, and a community college?
As long as I make a decent amount, the money doesn't matter, and I hate huge towns. It is more a worry of finding a job for my dh!Last edit by dnw826 on Jul 5, '06
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=166316©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,457 Views
- Jul 7, '06 by IV-PUSHSounds like you want tthe presque isle area. You have access to a community college and a campus for the university of maine system. There are 2 hospitals in the area Aroostook medical center, and CARY medical center.
- Jul 7, '06 by canoeheadIsn't that on the coast? southern maine?
- Jul 9, '06 by RemoteRNQuote from canoeheadIsn't that on the coast? southern maine?
The County and CARY??? .. NO they are not in Southern Maine nor are they on the coast.
- Jul 10, '06 by rninmeThere are some great places to live/work in Maine. I am a transplant...read
"from away" and I love it here. I can't think of anywhere I would rather be. I can't tell you much about northern-most Maine....but I can tell you about the downeast and mid-coast areas.
- Jul 11, '06 by IV-PUSHummm...no presque isle is in aroostook county
- Jul 13, '06 by dnw826What is the cost of living like in Presque Isle?
- Jul 13, '06 by dnw826Oh yeah, are there any hugely annoying things in Maine in general or Presque Isle that I should know about? I know that if someone would have told me that you can't walk outside here in NC without being attacked by fire ants, I never would have come.
- Jul 15, '06 by IV-PUSHCost of living just about anywhere in the aroostook county area is extremely cheap. And when I say cost of living I mean home prices, land prices, some people will jump on here and rant about taxes...and to that I say whatever..you can buy a home up here for about 1/2 of what you would pay in southern Maine..to me thats cheap cost of living.
Annoying things?? well in the summer the mosquitos and blackflies can be extremely annoying if you like outdoor activities..but they die down later in the summer and the cooler fall months are extremely pleasant.
- Jul 18, '06 by StudentNurseAbbyI've lived in Presque Isle my whole life. There is no specific health food store but there is a grocery store with a pretty good health food section. There are two bigger hospitals. One in Presque Isle, The Aroostook Medical Center. There is also CARY in Caribou, which is about 20 minutes north of here. Northern Maine Community College is the school I go to, it's here in Presque Isle. There is a 2 year RN program but no LPN program. There is a mall, super Wal-Mart, etc. for shopping.
Cost of living is fairly cheap from what I've heard. I live with my parents so I haven't really been able to experience the cost of living myself but I'm sure it's much cheaper.
Summer is warm but usually an average of high 70's, low 80's. Winter's can be very cold and snowy but the last few have been mild in my opinion. Fall is beautiful in the county, the leaves are amazing. It's very safe here, rarely any crime. As far as bug problems I've never noticed that except for the June bugs for like 2 or 3 weeks in early summer.
If you have any more questions, about Presque Isle or surrounding areas, I'll try to answer them the best I can.
Here is a link that might be helpful: