Call scheduleRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Call schedule in LTC: Directors Nursing / Assistant (DON/ADON), part of Nursing Specialties ... I'm interested in how other LTCF's handle their on call rotations and who participates. As DON, do...by americanTrain Jan 31, '11I'm interested in how other LTCF's handle their on call rotations and who participates.
As DON, do you ever take on call for a week in the rotation with other staff for call offs
and make calls to find employees to work that needed shift?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=529694©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- Jan 31, '11 by sls73I take on-call once a month with three other administrative staff. They call me if needed on events of the unit and troubleshooting call-offs. If I am below the staffing levels then I go in(but its rare- may happen once or twice out of entire year). The aides rotate on-call for their weekends, but the licensed staff do not. We have never really had issues with licensed staff calling off on their weekend. Hope this helps.
- Jan 31, '11 by CapeCodMermaidSince I am on call 24/7, I am not part of the on call rotation for weekends. The people who are on call end up calling me anyway. Yes, I call people to try to get them to come in but, so far at this place, I have not gone in to cover a shift or take a cart.
- Jan 31, '11 by americanTrainI get the calls on weekends and for problems on the unit, but Im asking about taking call during the week, like 1 week at a time for staffing call ins. They want me
to take call every 3rd week from monday til the next monday
- Feb 1, '11 by Nascar nurseMy DON in on-call 24/7 & she mainly takes all calls during the week. We are fortunate & it's not really much of a big deal. She probably averages 1-2 calls/wk at most & the "easy" unit is required to attempt to cover alll call offs on their own. Again, this is not usually a problem. When she is on vacation a note goes up to the units that she is not to be called & they are then to call me as the ADON.
The weekend call rotation is split between ADON, MDS, medical records (who is a LPN), Staff development, and unit manager. When I take a week of call for DON's vacation, I am often taken out of the wkend rotation if it falls close together.
- Feb 3, '11 by mdsnewbeeThe DON and the ADON alternate call every other week at our facility. We handle finding coverage for all nursing and aide call ins and if necessary work the shift
- Feb 3, '11 by agebhart7241At my facility I am the DON and I take call Mon-Thurs. The other 4 managers take call (rotate) the weekends. We used to do it so all 5 managers took 1 week at a time. I recently changed this so I could be more up to date on what happens during the week. I still get calls on the weekends from the managers for troubleshooting and staffing Issues. I have had to work the floor as an STNA or Nurse. It is usually about once a month this happens.
- Feb 5, '11 by DixiecupIn my opinion the DON should not take call for the purpose of having to come in and cover a shift. Actually, I think it is against regulations for the DON to work the floor if your census is over 60.
- Feb 7, '11 by noc4senufThe DON just can not be the charge nurse.... they can work the floor.
- Feb 7, '11 by sls73My census is 59.....UGH! I think it says something about a FT DON working 35 hours a week- well I dont know about most DON's but I have that beat and then some.