People being spiteful about grades?
- 0Hello everyone! I'm making this topic to ask for some advice, please I hope it's in the right category. I'm currently taking my pre req's for an lpn-rn program. More specifically, I'm taking A&P. And I've noticed some negative behavior about our tests....let me explain some more. Our instructor curves our tests. The way he curves it depends on the person with the highest grade in class. For example, if the highest grade is a 90, that person gets 10 points to make a 100, and everyone else gets 10 points also. But if the highest grade is a 98, everyone only gets 2 points. Hopefully that makes sense! Well we took our first test a couple of weeks ago, and I made the highest grade in the class. A small curve was added to everyone. I don't tell my grades without someone asking, but of course, a close friend of mine asked and I told her. So now everyone knows I made the high grade. I didn't think there was any problems at first...but now it seems there is some bitterness from some classmates. Our teacher told us on the first day of class that we shouldn't rely on the curve because there is always one person who does really well. So its not like it was a surprise or anything...we took our second test last week, but before the test, there were some people talking about "finding out" who makes the highest grade and "chewing them out for messing it up for everyone." Now I'm worried that will be me again....I'm really not trying to sound arrogant, but I study very hard for my grades. I am just a strong test taker. Either way...I'd rather not tell anyone my grade, but I have a hard time saying no lol I'm shy and quiet. And I don't want to start anything with anyone. What really gets me is that I had this same problem in LPN school!!! Why do people have to be so competitive? But I want to avoid it this time around....I'm sorry this was so long. Any advice or tips what to say if someone asks my grades? I don't want to be mean of course... But any help would be appreciated!! Thank you!!Last edit by LPN709 on Feb 19 : Reason: grammar
- 5Feb 19 by LadyFree28Quote from SoldierNurse22This......don't tell anyone your grades. Problem solved.
Remember that when someone asks about how much you make.
Keep it to your self, learn to say NO; it will make you life a MUCH happier place.
- 5Feb 19 by psu_213, BSN, RNSo let me get this straight...they are mad at you since you did well and it "hurt" their curve? It sounds like your classmates are mad at themselves for their individual failures, yet they are taking it out on you.
My advice...do you best. Shoot for 100%. Keep your score to yourself--don't even tell those who you consider your "friends" (and that seems like another discussion...). If people are mad that someone ruined the curve...let them being upset at themselves for, at least in some cases, not doing their individual bests.
- 0Quote from SoldierNurse22Yes, I understand this would definitely solve the problem! I've tried just saying "I passed" but apparently that's not enough lol I get hounded until I say the actual number. I was just asking for a polite thing to say to ward off people who ask...I have such a hard time saying no. I feel like I'm being mean and rude. I know I shouldn't feel this way but I can't help it! And psu_213 yes you are exactly right! I'm trying...don't tell anyone your grades. Problem solved.
- 5Feb 19 by manuskoQuote from LPN504if you feel that pressured then tell them you scored 5-10 points less than the actual grade.Yes, I understand this would definitely solve the problem! I've tried just saying "I passed" but apparently that's not enough lol I get hounded until I say the actual number. I was just asking for a polite thing to say to ward off people who ask...I have such a hard time saying no. I feel like I'm being mean and rude. I know I shouldn't feel this way but I can't help it! And psu_213 yes you are exactly right! I'm trying
- 4Feb 19 by HippyDippyLPNJust lie if you feel you have to say something. Honestly I wouldn't care what your pre req classmates think (I don't). I am there to make stellar grades, not friends, so i would tell people too bad so sad but then again I'm a bit of an arse lol.