How many Prereqs will I need for my BSN?Register Today!
This is a discussion on How many Prereqs will I need for my BSN? in LPN to RN Nursing Student, part of Nursing Student ... I am looking for advice on how many prereq classes it will take for my BSN. I do understand that...by Mrsearly2009 Aug 11, '12I am looking for advice on how many prereq classes it will take for my BSN. I do understand that every school is different but I am just looking to get a general idea so I can start taking these classes and be a step closer to becoming a an RN-BSN.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=769993©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,957 Views
- Aug 11, '12 by KimynurseSome are
Anatomy and physiology 1 and 2
One more science usually biology
2 English classes
2 semesters of a language
There are then classes like
Gym, the arts, humanities
I hope that helps a little
- Aug 11, '12 by BornToRN13The ore-reqs seem like a lot, but don't let it discourage you. I just started my first job as a RN and I am floating on air. Love it!
- Aug 11, '12 by KimynurseBorn to RN
Where you a LPN first?
Did you do ADN? or BSN?
What state are you in?
- Aug 11, '12 by Mrsearly2009Thank you so much. The list you gave me is pretty much a standard for most schools and if you opt to go the private school route, they told me that they have a few classes their school requires you to take. What I am trying to do is take all of the prereqs needed prior to starting my BSN so all I have to pay for is the actual nursing program. Thanks again for the advice.
- Aug 11, '12 by CT PixieI'd say before you start taking classes you think you might need, check out the schools you are interested in and find out for sure what their pre-reqs are. It would be such a waste of time, energy and $ to take a class only to find out its not the right course or finding out you didn't need it at all but needed another one.
- Aug 11, '12 by Underdog43Just to add, I don't know what your time schedule is, but some classes expire after a certain amount of years, like anatomy and physiology for example.
- Aug 11, '12 by Paco-RNEvery school is different in terms of what prereqs you need. However, anatomy/physiology 1 & 2 and microbiology are guaranteed required at any nursing school, so you might as well start with those. I would recommend not taking these at the same time though. Take A&P and micro in separate semesters. I mean, it can be done together, but if you want to have a life () take them in separate semesters.
- Aug 11, '12 by MichaelaR27Mine were:
Physiology/Lab (Separate from Anatomy)
Comp 1 & 2
Electives equaling up to 63 credit hours total...
- Aug 11, '12 by demylenatedBE VERY CAREFUL with private schools. While you'll get your nursing degree, most of the credits will not transfer if you decide to go on. I did that for my LPN. Spent way too much money and had to do every single pre-req over again.
With that said, I think for most school, BSNs require about 70-90 pre-req hours.