Katrina Five Years LaterRegister Today!
- by DoGoodThenGo Aug 28, '10Anyone affected by the storm and or on duty that day with war stories?
- Aug 28, '10 by Ruby Veethere was a really good blog here on allnurses from a nurse that was trapped at work with her patients for days and finally was evacuated from the roof by helicopter with some of her patients. i remember being horrified by her account of the visitors stealing her food, water, toilet paper, etc. and the visitors trying to get on the evacuation helicopters in front of the patients and nurses. i've been wanting to re-read it but can't find it again. anyone got a link?
- Aug 29, '10 by glascowI remember reading her posts, too. I even called and spoke to her soon after she was rescued. I have no idea how her situation turned out and don't know if there is still a link to her posts or not. Sorry.
- Apr 16 by crussellWe are still asking patients how they made out in the storm, as some are still rebuilding . We now start off everyday conversations with " Before Katrina" or " this started after Katrina, so it's been about 7 years.." Everything here has been affected by this hurricane. The worse thing , to me, is the loss of mental Heath centers and hospitals, so we have seen a SIGNIFICANT increase in mentally ill patients on the med- surg units.
It's continues to be a long road home and most nurses don't rehash their experiences anymore- too painful. Just waiting for the next hurricanes!
- Apr 25 by StudentEtc.crussell, where are you now?