Dirty South Is Plain Old Dirt Cheap
- 0Nov 20, '04 by nicmoeI am outraged at the jobs here I cant believe the pay rates. All you here is the cost of living. Things are getting more and more expensive health insurance, gasoline etc. but pay rates are at a stand still. Paying a nurse 11/hr whats the point of going to school if you can work as a nursing assistant for 16/hr in Wisconsin I am so disappointed.
- 1,655 Views
- 0Nov 20, '04 by nicmoeRecently relocated to Slidell, Louisiana from Wisconsin for family reasons just amazed at how low the wages are for nurses people without degrees oversee the wages offered. I can commute to New Orleans but the cost will cancel out any pay increase. As far as the cost of living Milwaukee, Wisconsin was cheaper my rent for a 2br/1 ba was $500/mo in Louisiana I pay $725/mo go figure thinking about moving back soon if things dont get stirred up in my direction. Lpn with 5+ years of experience 14/hr get out and run back north because a new lpn grad in wisconsin makes 16-17/hr base. I was making $19/hr w/$2.25 shift diff the only facitilies that pay here in Louisiana are ones with at least 1000 employees or corporate owned what happened to competitive pay for all the others. I guess I will just have to visit my family 1-2 year via a flight because its not worth taking a $5-6/hr pay cut with 3% raises a year.
- 0Jan 24, '05 by CHATSDALErent in N O is high but i thought that pay was up there also...i neve worked in that area but i know that in baton rouge the pay is about $5/hr more than in other areas of the state...i live in cenla and the average pay is more than $11 for nurse with experience..
i know that there was a recent hiring for a nurse who had been out of nursing for 12 years and had recently had a refresher course and she was hired for 12 with a promise of a 'hefty' raise p probation period...i don't know if hefty means the same to nurse as it does to facility...hope she stays we need good nurses who stay..so many grasshoppers out there
- 0Jan 24, '05 by nik05lsuIf I was you, I would move to Houston. I just recently moved here from New Orleans and worked for a Children's Hospital. I am a RN with 5 1/2 years of experience getting paid $27.00/hr in the Medical District. If I worked in New Orleans, I would be getting $22.60 right now for 5 years.
- 0Jun 10, '05 by cckrnI'm originally from NO and now live in BR. I have to say NO pays way better!! I took a cut in pay when I first moved here(a $4 cut) I just recently went from being an LPN to RN here. I know LPN's in NO who make more than I do here with 20 yrs exp in nursing and a BSN. Claire :stoneLast edit by cckrn on Jun 10, '05