Lewis BAC/BSN Program and their new KAT test, what is that????Register Today!
- by purplerabbit2012 Sep 8, '09I'm applying to Lewis for their ABSN program or the non-traditional program (basically night classes and weekend clinicals).
I know they just changed the test from the NET to KAT which is the Kaplan Admission Test. Has anyone heard of this test? Or has anyone taken it? I'm kinda nervous because I tried to look for more info on this test and has not found anything. All I know is that its a 91 question computerized test. Plus you only get once chance to take the test period.... double stress.
Anywho if anyone has any information about this test or the general application process please post. I'll really appreciate it. Thank you very much.
- Jan 23, '10 by KarolyteI'm taking KAT exam Feb 11th and I'm ging crazy now trying to study everything that is in their book. I think it is a little to much for me to learn in 2 weeks. Did you take this exam? If so how did it go?
- Jan 23, '10 by purplerabbit2012Hey Karolyte,
Here's something I posted awhile back:
Yes I took the KAT test Nov.2 and passed it..... We took the whole test but they said they are only looking at Math and Reading..... I thought it was really easy.... Anyways I'll give a run down on what I remember:
--- very basic stuff, lots of fractions... I also took the Hesi A2 for another school so I guess I had a lot of practice on that.... The KAT study guide had geometry but I don't remember seeing a geom problem.
--- Again, very basic....
--- The study guide only helped on a few questions and honestly there was way too many info on the book to study
--- This is where an essay is presented and you have to know what's wrong w/ it. It is multiple choice so that makes it easier..... but the study guide didn't prepare you at all for this type of test. But they said they're not looking at this section anyways...
So my advice is.... sign up for the test then ask them which section they are emphasizing on and focus on that.... I wish I can have back those 4 weeks that I spent reviewing the Science section of the KAT book which is well over half of it......
***Granted I took this test in November so I don't know if they changed it so I would call them and ask if they're still only looking at Math and Reading. Looking back, I would advice you to take your time. I was the second to the last person to finish and that made me kinda nervous. And if there's still only looking at Math and Reading, I think its really ridiculous that they didnt say that before hand. I really feel like a sucker for studying EVERYTHING on that book.... (hahaha jus venting) I guess I'm suppose to know those things already anyways...
- Jan 23, '10 by KarolyteThank you for the info. I'm just freaking out because there is a lot of stuff I did not know in that book. I'm good with math but science part is killing me now. I will deffinitely contact someone in Lewis to inquire about what scores they are looking for. Do you happen to know what is the min score they need?
I was also told that programs are full for fall '10, Spring '11 and Fall '11. Was not happy about it, because I have to take a test now and then wait another 2 years to start. Well, hopfully I will be accepted and maybe they can put me at least on a waiting list.
- Jan 24, '10 by purplerabbit2012Yikes!! All the way til Fall 11?? That's insane. But you know what tho, don't loose hope. I was suppose to start Spring 11 but I told her I wanted to be put on the waiting list for Fall 10 since I didnt want to wait long and I received an email yesterday saying a spot opened up for Fall 10 in August. Since it's a program for peeps who already have their BS more likely the prospective students are in the more matured age range =P .... So, I suppose more people delay their enrollment (due to kids, work, etc. )
Plus, I know UIC and other CC have long wait list so its pretty standard I guess..
I don't know what the minimum score is. Sorry, maybe you can ask when you call and share that info. Hang in there.... Good luck on your test and definitely definitely give them a call about which materials are looked at.
- Jan 24, '10 by KarolyteLucky you! I first wanted to get to fall '10 but now i wish I could get to spring '11. Thanks again for all information!
- Feb 13, '10 by KarolyteSo I'm done with that exam and I'm now waiting for the e-mail if my score was good enough (which I'm not that happy about). Math was sooooo easy I was really surprised that I was able to make one mistake. Reading and writing was not difficult but I managed to make couple mistakes. Well science part is something special, I do not think that study guide was a good tool to prepare for this section. I cross my fingers and hope they are not looking into that section. If they do my total score is 77 if they do not then it is 84. Do you know if it is enough to get there? Just wondering...
- Mar 18, '10 by littytennyQuote from KarolyteSo I'm done with that exam and I'm now waiting for the e-mail if my score was good enough (which I'm not that happy about). Math was sooooo easy I was really surprised that I was able to make one mistake. Reading and writing was not difficult but I managed to make couple mistakes. Well science part is something special, I do not think that study guide was a good tool to prepare for this section. I cross my fingers and hope they are not looking into that section. If they do my total score is 77 if they do not then it is 84. Do you know if it is enough to get there? Just wondering...
how long were the reading pasages?
- Mar 18, '10 by KarolyteThere were like 4-5 passages to read. Not too long about 4 short paragraphs. There were I think 28 questions. This part was easy. Science is difficult but they are not looking into it. It is experimental.
- Mar 18, '10 by littytennyQuote from KarolyteThere were like 4-5 passages to read. Not too long about 4 short paragraphs. There were I think 28 questions. This part was easy. Science is difficult but they are not looking into it. It is experimental.
thanks karolyte.were the passages like the one in the kaplan study guide because those are difficult for me or were they more easier?i am taking the exam on tue 23rd of march and i am kind of nervous because you only get one chance to take the exam.Have they finally emailed you on whether your scores were good enuf