Hello all. I am a student at UNC-Chapel Hill and am involved in a group project over the next few weeks regarding wound vacs. I'm just beginning research on the subject. My part of the project is to "examine the contextual variables regarding the adoption of wound vac use." I wanted to ask nurses in the field what they think about the use of wound vacs. I thought, aside from my own clinical sites, where better to start than the allnurses.com wound care discussion board?!
Here are the questions I have. Any information you are willing to share is greatly appreciated!
- Do your facility/agency use wound vacs?
- Why or why not?
- What direct impacts does wound vac use have on staff?
- What indirect impacts does wound vac use have on staff?
- Are there any relevant policies and governance re: vac use?
- What are the risks of vac use for the patient?
- What are the risks for the staff and agency?
- What are the costs (in terms of time, money, competing priorities)?
(Another member of our group is gathering research and theoretical support for wound vac use, which is why I didn't ask specifically about its benefits.)
THANK YOU in advance for sharing your insight!