1. I have been experiencing a lot of anxiety for several years. I think I am finally ready to see someone about this. How do you go about finding a good one? I don't want to talk to someone I can't trust.

    Would you go to a psychologist or a psychiatrist or what?
  2. Visit Vtachy1 profile page

    About Vtachy1

    Joined: Dec '08; Posts: 464; Likes: 288
    BNAT instructor; from US
    Specialty: 25 year(s) of experience in BNAT instructor, ICU, Hospice,triage


  3. by   VivaLasViejas
    I'd start out with a psychiatrist, if for no other reason than he or she can prescribe for you, and a psychologist can't. If you're as lucky as I am, your "p-doc" will also be your therapist, although my setup is becoming more rare; most only diagnose and then provide medication management. But even if you can't find one like that, a psychiatrist is still your best bet at least to get a proper dx for your problem, which may not be what you think but something entirely different, and also for medications. JMHO.
  4. by   sapphire18
    Usually therapists (in my experience) are licensed clinical social workers (LICSW). I was referred to my first one through my school's health center, and my most recent one through my psychiatrist (who I was referred to by a friend who is a psych nurse). Good luck.
  5. by   KelRN215
    If it were me I would go to a psychologist, for the exact reason Viva describes. I don't want someone who's going to try to medicate me before I even sit down. The last time I was in therapy was about 8 years ago... within 5 minutes, the therapist (a CNS who, in my state, can prescribe) said "I think Wellbutrin would be good for you." I have a history of severe seizures and anorexia/bulimia, both of which are contraindications to Wellbutrin and I had no intentions of taking any medications at all. I never went back to therapy after that. Everyone is different as to what would meet their needs though.
  6. by   Vtachy1
    It seems that a lot of us nurses struggle with anxiety. I wish I could make it go away!
  7. by   VivaLasViejas
    Oh, now, what is it about nursing that could possibly cause us to become anxious? Let me count the ways........
  8. by   elkpark
    Unfortunately, the way the US healthcare system works, your best bet, at least initially, is to call the 800 number on the back of your insurance card (assuming you have insurance) and ask them who they'll cover. There's no point in getting referred by a friend or colleague to a therapist who isn't on the panel for your insurance company -- unless you want to pay out of pocket (which some people prefer to do, for some good reasons).

    The insurance company may well require that you be seen and diagnosed by a psychiatrist before they'll pay for therapy, and they may even require that you be on medication before they'll pay for therapy (insurance companies much prefer medication to therapy, because it's cheaper, and they often take the position that, if your problem isn't serious enough to "need" medication, then it's not serious enough to justify them paying for therapy).

    I can't imagine why we, the US public, continue to be willing to put up with this crap, but that's a whole 'nother conversation.
  9. by   Marshall1
    If your employer offers EAP that would be a good way to get started w/o having any out of pocket to pay. If you are married your spouse's employer may offer EAP too and you could tap into those benefits as well.