night nursing and healthy snacksRegister Today!
- by anon456 Jul 7, '12What are some healthy, easy to prepare and eat healthy snacks? I'm tired of the candy and junky stuff but enjoy munching on little things to stay awake.
- Jul 7, '12 by TX.RN.ShannonI've lost 90 pounds in the last year and have some snacks that work for me.
I like the 100 calorie packages of almonds. String cheese or cheddar cheese in the individual portions.
I buy Triscuits (especially the garlic flavored) and put them into snack-sized bags as soon as I get home from the store. I also immediately portion out my grapes and strawberries.
A medium apple with half a container of caramel dip (the individual tubs) is nice.
I eat at least 1 or 2 yogurts each night--trying to up my calcium, too!
Fiber One bars are filling and yummy, but the gas is horrible at first!
When I am going to work, I grab my lunch bag and throw a handful of stuff into it. I like the things being separated and ready because usually I'm running late! On a typical night, I take 2 different yogurts, a string cheese, a bag of Triscuits to go with the small piece of Cheddar, a bag of Almonds, and either a bag of strawberries or grapes. It sounds like a lot, but I do better eating a small snack pretty frequently. It's all I usually have time for! Plus, I've noticed I have fewer headaches...maybe my blood sugar isn't dipping/spiking as much...IDK.
Anyways, sorry this is so long. Hope it gives you a little bit of good info!
- Jul 7, '12 by tokyoROSEI bring fruit and protein. Currently I'm loving edamame or beef jerky. Both are low in calories and packed full of protein. I also drink soy milk or skim milk. If I'm craving something sweet, I have sugar free chocolate pudding or make hot chocolate with soy or skim milk. I stash a few protein bars in my bag too, they come in handy wherever I go.
- Jul 7, '12 by exnavygirl-RNBaby carrots and hummus.
Apples and other cut-up fruit.
Cereal! (Kashi will keep you full the whole shift)
String cheese (these saved me on night shift)
Yogurt (I love Greek yogurt)
Mixed Nuts (I like the mixed nuts that contain macadamias)
I use to stash protein bars, too.
I worked night shift for 8 years. Now that I'm on day shift I have gained weight. We get an hour for lunch so we go out to eat A LOT...too much!
- Jul 7, '12 by Gypsy_NurseIn my lunch bag I have for my lunch and snacks: Smart Ones meal, two packs of oatmeal, a bag of carrots, a protein bar (currently my new favorite is the peanut butter chocolate one, a Zone bar, from Target, can get Target brand of same thing for $4 for 5 bars), a packet of green tea, and an 80 calorie yogurt. String cheese is always a good one to add also, however I am obsessed with cheese so I try to limit it as much as possible!