The good thing about nursing is the options available. I worked in a hospital from 2003 to 2005 as an apprentice nurse while attending nursing school
, then transitioned into my role of RN in the ICU. While I liked my job, there were many things about it that stressed me the hell out. I left that unit to work in a smaller ICU closer to home and it was even worse. The nurses there were pretty awful and I added to it by going through some pretty horrific stuff myself. I was out of nursing for about a year and when I returned, I went back to work in a dialysis clinic. I liked the job and I loved the patients. I hated the hours and the nurse I worked alongside (she was entitled and lazy). The manager was brand new and had never run a facility before, the facility itself was new and going through growing pains.
My husband, who has worked for the state for the past 11 years, urged me to apply for some of the state nursing jobs
. I did and ended up in an outpatient psychiatric medication clinic. I've been here since July 2009 and about 90% of the time, I LOVE my job. The other 10% is simply when I have grumpy days and really exhausting clients (ones with borderline personality disorder or substance abusers). I have an amazing supervisor, great coworkers, and get to spend 15-30 min with each of my patients on a one-on-one basis, which is great because I am able to actually do some patient education, which is my first love (I wanted to be a teacher when I was younger). I love my schedule, which is something I never thought I could work as an RN (7am to 4pm, no holidays, no weekends) and my pay is $30/hr, which isn't too shabby for the area I live. I'm a pretty happy camper and can't imagine ever working in a hospital setting again. So yes, I'm a happy nurse.