Nurses disrespecting nursesRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Nurses disrespecting nurses in Geriatric Nurses / LTC Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... So I went to a party where I was introduced to another nurse. She works in pediatric ICU. I said oh...by newrnltc Jun 24, '12So I went to a party where I was introduced to another nurse. She works in pediatric ICU. I said oh that must be tough. She's like yea I usually have 2 pts. I said oh when I was in ltc I had 60 at times..its usually not as acute but we still have our rough nights. She actually scoffed and said that's not really nursing! Excuse me?!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=748173©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,163 Views
- Jun 24, '12 by Lynx25Toss her on the floor with 60 and see how that goes :P
- Jun 24, '12 by Hay, RNWell... how did you handle her statement about her having two patients? From your post it can be taken either way, as you trying to one up her by saying you've been responsible for 60 patients before or you were just having a general conversation. So... either way. ;D
Just shrug it off! (:
- Jun 24, '12 by AweSmilesIn my opinion, I think you were just trying to continue the conversation by stating how your jobs are difficult but in different ways. There's nothing wrong with what you said. And if she did take it the wrong way, she didn't have to put you down by saying 'that's not nursing.' that was just mean and unprofessional.
- Jun 24, '12 by newrnltcOh I was just conversating! Initially another friend asked about my current job which is clinic. She said that's easy. Anyway I already acknowledged picu is tough.. I mean taking care of sick children? It must be hard to deal with everyday. But of course the convo ended soon after her comment :l
- Jun 24, '12 by amoLuciaAnother classic example of a snarky nurse denigrating LTC. How professional! (And I'm being facietious!)
- Jun 25, '12 by JZ_RNPfft, people who are rude like that are too ignorant and probably couldn't last one shift in a 60 patient LTC position. I never put down someone's place of work in nursing, they're all hard in different ways!
- Jun 25, '12 by amoLuciaQuote from JZ_RNThank you - well said. But it is still so hurtful and discouraging to be uttered by one of our 'professional' peers.Pfft, people who are rude like that are too ignorant and probably couldn't last one shift in a 60 patient LTC position. I never put down someone's place of work in nursing, they're all hard in different ways!
- Jun 25, '12 by newrnltcWell said indeed! I always took pride in the time I had to take care of our elderly but I have to admit those comments (oh that's easy! and that's not really nursing!) stung a bit. I feel like many people (including within the healthcare community) have very little understanding of the pressures of LTC nursing. Perhaps they imagine us twiddling our thumbs while we babysit a bunch of AOx3, ambulatory (and of course continent) sweet grannies that always take their 1 -2 pills and never need more than an occasional pillow fluffing while we dance around and singalong to nice oldies music lol
We may not be dealing with fancy equipment and multiple drips but what we do (in clinic and LTC) is still very real and necessary nursing! Ah well. I just had to vent. Thanks AN for listening
- Jun 25, '12 by CapeCodMermaidAnyone who speaks disrespectfully about a different nursing specialty, is NOT a professional.