Weeding out? - Page 3Register Today!
- Dec 8, '12 by AZMOMO2I don't think we had a weeding out semester per say... I think we had a huge loss of students in our 3rd block, we lost about 15. Although in the group before us they lost 20 in their 4th block (We only have 4) I think it's just hit or miss with the group you get.
- Dec 8, '12 by CT PixieI think for my LPN schooling it was the first semester. For my RN program (while I didn't have to take the 1st year nursing classes) my cohorts said they lost a huge number in the first semester (nursing funds), the 1st class of the 2nd year (semester was divided between 2 classes) we lost a big number to one particular class.
So I'm going with (for a 2 yr program) 1st and 3rd semester.
- Dec 8, '12 by old_dudeI start the nursing program "proper" at my school in Jan. So I can't say what, if any, semester in nursing school is the weed out one. However, my A&P I instructor said that he was the "gate keeper" for entrance into the nursing school, implying that his class was the "weed out class". I also know that I applied for the nursing program before I finished that first A&P class, and was turned down. I re-applied after finishing (with and A ) and got in.
- Dec 8, '12 by rumwynnieRNI think that depends on the school (I think someone else said that on the first page). Now that I'm about to graduate, I think our second to last semester is the one that kills people. At our school, mental health is ridiculous. Who's genius idea was it to put mental health and adult health II together? They're so different.
I've heard from family friends that at her school, pedi was ridiculously hard because her teacher was crazy.
- Dec 9, '12 by mind_body_soulApparently every semester at my school is a "weeding out" semester. My cohort loses 5-6 a semester it seems. The new semester ones lost 16. Not sure how many of those are going to try and repeat or just give up.
- Dec 9, '12 by grpmanI'm surprised this thread hasn't become a diabtribe about "weeding out." Normally instructors can't resist the urge to have a verbal scrap when seeing these two words put together.
- Dec 9, '12 by JaselJust depends on the program. Ours is definetely second semester (out of 4).
- Dec 9, '12 by kgh31386Doesn't matter what the masses say. Different people think different things are hard.
Think about it this way...LIFE is a weeding out session in general. Some people make, some people don't. Success isn't a guarantee, don't worry about what others say is hard or difficult
- Dec 9, '12 by FeistnI don't think there is any intentional "weeding out," but I do think that they are not going to be sympathetic to people who aren't up to snuff. This isn't to be mean; it's much better to fail a semester of nursing school than to get out into practice and get in big trouble with your employer, the nursing board, or even the court system. They've only got so many spots available, I think they want to pick the students who are going to succeed. It obviously doesn't work out that way (one person has already been dismissed from the program in my semester, and I suspect there are 5-10 people on the bubble), but that is not for lack of instruction or support by the instructors.