Leaving the state after finishing nursing school

  1. I plan on leaving Florida to go back to my birthplace in the midwest after I graduate. I'd like to just graduate from school, take the NCLEX and move. I was wondering if anybody knew what sort of difficulties I could encounter in switching states right after completing a nursing program. Should I wait to take the NCLEX until after I move? Thanks!
  2. Visit WannaBNursey profile page

    About WannaBNursey, ADN, RN

    Joined: Aug '11; Posts: 554; Likes: 308
    RN; from US
    Specialty: ER, Med-surg


  3. by   itsnowornever
    I'd apply for NCLEX in your home state. I had a classmate who was from another state, she left right after graduation and took her NCLEX at home. Made it easier than staying in a "stranger" state and trying to study and then trying to get a license elsewhere.
  4. by   Striving2BG8
    I live in NJ, have school in DE and will be moving to MD once I get a job there. I'll be taking it in my school's state since its a smaller state hopefully I'll get my license quicker Since my home state is a non-compact state I don't have to take it there. Then I'll apply for licensure by endorsement in MD.
  5. by   morte
    BIG issue to check into before you try this! Make sure you meet the educational req of the state you want to test in/for.
  6. by   nurseprnRN
    Note, you have to have your primary license in the state where you are a legal resident. You can't live in non-compact state A, take your license in compact state B, and then go to compact state C and be licensed by endorsement. Doesn't work that way.
  7. by   WannaBNursey
    So would it be better then to get licensed in Florida and transfer that license to Indiana right after I get it? I'm just looking for what would be easiest. Thanks for the help so far! Keep it coming
  8. by   chare
    There have been many posts regarding this topic. The NCLEX RN is a national standard examination. What this means is this: when you pass the examination, your score will be recognized by every state. However, each state determines the educational requirements they require to apply for licensure in that state. One example that comes to mind and I’m not sure if they still require this or not, is the Texas jurisprudence examination. If a state has an educational requirement that you have not met, then you will not be eligible for licensure in that state; regardless of whether you have a license in another state or not. You should be able to review the information on the Indiana Board of Nursing website for specific educational requirements.

    As the NCLEX RN is a national standard examination, you can attend school in any state, apply for licensure in any other state, and when you receive you authorization to test, actually complete the examination in any approved testing center in the world. You do not need to be a resident of the state in which you are licensed. However, you do need to meet all of their licensing requirements. The only time residency is an issue is when you are applying for licensure in a compact state. If you have not established residency for that state, you can be issued a license, however it will only grant you single state privileges in that state.

    If you know that you are not going to work in Florida, and are definitely going to Indiana, then your best course of action would be to apply to Indiana for licensure. This is going to cost more, and take longer, as you must have your Florida license prior to applying to Indiana. And, if you apply for endorsement into another state, they are going to require an endorsement from every state in which you have been licensed.
  9. by   mariebailey
    I took the NCLEX in Louisiana for licensure in the state of Maryland b/c I left Maryland right after I graduated from nursing school and moved in with my parents in LA temporarily while looking for jobs. I did not end up going back to Maryland, but I did go to a compact state that allowed me to apply for licensure by endorsement b/c I was licensed in MD. I checked with my school and the SBON b/f this, and it was acceptable. Even though I was taking the NCLEX in LA, I sat for the test as a Maryland test-taker.
  10. by   Striving2BG8
    Quote from GrnTea
    Note, you have to have your primary license in the state where you are a legal resident. You can't live in non-compact state A, take your license in compact state B, and then go to compact state C and be licensed by endorsement. Doesn't work that way.
    When you make a statement like this it helps if you explain further....

    From the DE BON:

    When to File Application by Examination
    Complete this application if you are applying to take the NCLEX examination and your home state of residence is either Delaware or a non-compact state.
    • If one of the following compact states other than Delaware is your home state of residence, you must apply for licensure by examination in your home state, not in Delaware: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin

    Listening to the other posters I believe what i said is possible and what i have to do according to the DE & MD BON. But let know if it wouldnt work
    Last edit by Striving2BG8 on Oct 8, '12
  11. by   classicdame
    It will be easier to get permission to test in Florida, since they have alreay have a communication with the school there. Then you can transfer your license to the other state. You will want to check out the BON for the second state to learn of their requirements.