Stressed out from job
- 0Dec 9, '11 by Rnurse 2008I work at a correctional psych facility and have also worked in a regular psych hospital. I HATE this correctional psych nursing job for reasons of the schedule working nocs and doing round on inmates that expose themselves to you, the schedule, gassing, feeling paranoid of everything surrounding you, feeling like your the one in prison. I want to leave this job, and go back to my regular psych job, but I'm just worried about benefits and if I'm making the right decision. I'll be on call at my psych job because I gave up my schedule to be at this correctional job. People say it's good benefits at the prison etc etc, but I'm not retiring soon and at this point I don't want to go back at all. Not even for a 2 weeks notice. Although I feel like a failure that I even took this job and couldn't last more than 3 months. I been there 2 months and on the floor for 2 weeks. It's just not for me. I'm worried about what people will say about me, my reputation for the system. I just have a lot of anxiety about leaving because i don't want to make the wrong decision again, although I hate it. I'm mad at myself that I can't make it work. I don't know if it's worth leaving the medical benefits which I need. I'll get paid more at my on call job, and maybe in the future I'll get my regular hours back, but because nothing is certain I'm having a hard time making this decision. My best friend told me to just leave this job because it will make me more miserable each day and affect my life at home, etc. I agree with her I'm just scared of making wrong choice. Even if I attempt to try and stay longer I know I will feel like crap! Please help!
- 0Dec 9, '11 by gonzo1Don't beat yourself up for not being comfortable in this job. It is stressfull and dangerous on a good day.
If you don't quit the inmates are going to sense your lack of confidence and security and make things even worse for you than they are now. Not everyone is cut out to be a correctional nurse.
I do great in the ER, but I know I could not do corrections. I am way to gulible and kind and not sure enough of myself.
Find yourself a healthier work place. There is no shame in leaving this job. It is a wise decision
- 3Dec 9, '11 by Marshall1Who cares what anyone thinks - you are the one who has to get up and go to this job...NO job is worth your health/well being. You gave it a shot - it didn't work and wasn't for you - lesson learned and you the wiser for it. Leave it - as the above poster said, the inmates will sense your lack of confidence and it will only get worse from there.
- 0Dec 9, '11 by Rnurse 2008Thank you for the support and your right, I forgot about how the inmates would sense that. So I'm more glad I even posted this to be reminded of things like that. Now my question is, should I still give a 2 weeks notice and go back in? Does something like that go on my resume if only for 2 months? I dread going back in there to work. I just want to call my supervisor and tell her I can only come back to return my ID etc.
- 0Dec 9, '11 by Cjann25If you feel like your safety/license is in danger, don't return. However, if you feel like you can endure a few more weeks without comprimising your safety/license, then I would recommend giving a two weeks notice. It may feel like an eternity, but it will probably pass by faster than you anticipate. You can then return to your old psych job, while looking for something else if you're concerned about benefits.
- 0Dec 10, '11 by brandy1017I would quit the job, it is not worth it to have to put up with being emotionally and verbally abused by these patients and not knowing if they will attack or harm you. Whether the benefits are good or not is beside the point, if you hate the job and are anxious, afraid and dread going to work, what good are the benefits. How would you be able to last long enough (years) in a job that you hate and feel violated! ALways having to look over your shoulder its just not worth it!
Also the truth is all these great public govt jobs are going by the wayside as republican gov like Walker and his republican cronies attempt to downsize and privatize all the good govt jobs, except there's of course. If your one of their buddies, they'll set you up in a good job with double the salary, no education, no experience, no problem! Ok I'm getting off the point , I know but Gov Walker is such a hypocritical jerk doing everything he can to take away all the good jobs and bennies except for himself and his close pals!
Most of the public county hospitals in the nation have closed down and privatized due to money problems, school nurses are expendable, and there is always take of privatizing prison nurses so why stay at a job you hate that may not last long enough to take advantage of the bennies anyway? Life is too short.
Talk to your old manager, maybe they would take you back, what do you have to lose? As for what people think, who cares. If they ask tell them it wasn't for you. I doubt it would be for them either, who wants to put with the abuse of dirty men and worrying about being attacked? That's why these type of jobs always have openings!