Nurses afraid to care for AIDS patients. - page 6

:chuckle... Read More

  1. by   MIKEY LIKES
    Man I smell something rotten...Ohhhhhh...it's just the "Flamebait".
  2. by   hapeewendy
    and if your goal was to make us all think youre a nurse hating moron, then yes you were incredibly successful
    congrats on your achievement...
    in the school of dumb you are sure to be the validictorian
    truth be told , you offend me ,but I wont put you on ignore because clicking that lil ignore button is more effort than you're worth, so yep I'm done
    with you
  3. by   passing thru
    I just read this entire thread. Not sure what it is about. I will post three "facts" I am familiar with.
    #1.) For YEARS, I have observed doctors who are ''AFRAID'' of HIV patients, AIDS patients. We nurses always crack-up laughing after the docs leave the floor. With AIDS patients, 90% of our docs simply stick their heads in the door and ask "How's it going?" The other 10 % don't even do that much. Simply use chart and interview with nurse to plan their care. Leave us to tend to the IV starts, diarrhea, baths, personal care and emotional support.

    #2.) I personally know a number of young women who have been dissuaded from healthcare careers "because of the AIDS epidemic." Their parents were firm about there being no reason to put themselves in risky situations with all the career options available for women.

    #3.) Whether we want to think about it or not, accidents do and have happened. Universal Precautions do not guarantee we will not be a victim of an accident. Nurses have been stuck and splattered and have died from AIDS acquired from an AIDS patient. We cannot alter the statistics.
  4. by   baseline
    UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS. This thread beats all. I have known far more nurses killed in car accidents than by AIDS or any other hospital acquired illness. This is ridiculous. I feel like I've been transported back a couple of decades. What you know won't kill you .... it's what you don't know...........UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS. They have been around for awhile now.............
  5. by   hapeewendy
    baseline, my dear friend, while I admire your attempt to educate the clueless, I'm afraid its going to be a futile experience
    some ppl just dont get it
    and some ppl never will
  6. by   Stargazer
    Originally posted by passing thru
    With AIDS patients, 90% of our docs simply stick their heads in the door and ask "How's it going?" The other 10 % don't even do that much. Simply use chart and interview with nurse to plan their care. Leave us to tend to the IV starts, diarrhea, baths, personal care and emotional support.
    Uuuhh--and the docs help a lot with these tasks on the non-AIDS patient, do they?
  7. by   mattsmom81
    WARNING LONG WINDED POST

    Nursing IS a dangerous occupation but some people don't like talking about that. Guess some find it easier stay in oblivion to the dangers. How many nurses do you know with work related injuries? How about nurses on disability? Is anybody really tracking cases of nurses with hepatitis, HIV or on the job injuries? Facilities would have the public think they care about their employees, but just ask someone who has been injured on the job...9 out of 10 will say administration attempted to intimidated or run them off, and deny any responsibility.

    I guess I don't understand all the group anger directed at this poor misinformed CNA. Sounds like she mostly just needs information. I've worked in facilities where we have to beg for appropriate PPE in order to safely care for our patients. Too many facilities dodge their respponsibilities, IME.

    I've worked in chronic understaffed critical care areas with combative, biting, fighting total care HIV and hepatitis patients with lines, ports, ETT's..many times the doc refuse to sedate....and I am here to tell you it IS scary...as we are not staffed well enough anymore and we cannot control EVERYTHING that happens 100% of the time. Guess I must work in an unusual area if this only happens to me....or guess nobody else wants to be as blunt as me and risk being labeled politically incorrect.

    I don't wear full PPE with goggles and masks and waterproof gown in every ICU room. Knowledge of infectious disease principles dictates how much PPE I use. I totally disagree with those who suggest I DON'T have the right to be fully informed of my patient's diagnoses. To me THAT is in the dark ages.

    If someone here bugs some of ya'll so much..why not just ignore them? Why the repetitive insults and put downs? In group mobbing fashion. I'm seeing a lot of this here lately on allnurses and it ain't pretty. JMHO.
  8. by   MishlB
    Originally posted by mattsmom81
    WARNING LONG WINDED POST



    I guess I don't understand all the group anger directed at this poor misinformed CNA. Sounds like she mostly just needs information. I've worked in facilities where we have to beg for appropriate PPE in order to safely care for our patients. Too many facilities dodge their respponsibilities, IME.

    If someone here bugs some of ya'll so much..why not just ignore them? Why the repetitive insults and put downs? In group mobbing fashion. I'm seeing a lot of this here lately on allnurses and it ain't pretty. JMHO.
    With all due respect Mattsmom...the posts have all been edited by this poor misinformed CNA, as you put it. Yes it looks as if there is a lot of put down commentary, but the original posts were disturbing and just plain stupid. And yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question.
  9. by   hapeewendy
    well I dont partake in needless flaming of anyone but this poster has said a lot of nasty little tidbits, guess you must have missed them...
    misinformation is one thing
    downright ignorance is another
    this poor misinformed CNA as you put it has sputtered some real hatred out along these boards
    and now its been convienently removed by said poster, so yes , those of us who responded are human, capable of anger and other negative emotions, sure its fun to take the moral highground but when someone comes around just for the sheer joy of insulting you and your lifes work you are allowed to get a lil angry...
    I love how some ppl figure that there is always a group out to attack innocent posters
    I am part of no group
    I was expressing my own individual anger at that CRAP that I was reading...
    in a grown up real world we do not have an ignore feature , we take it upon ourselves to ignore ppl, or respond, either way its a choice
    you choose to ignore, and in this case I didnt..
    I think it would be fairer if you had seen all sides to the story , but you're entitled to your opinion just like the rest of us are mattsmom -and you know thats not meant to come out insulting because you know from all my posts that I have a huge amount of respect for you and the work you do...
  10. by   SmilingBluEyes
    I think this is what the OP wanted. LOTS of attention, negative or positive. Most kids do.
  11. by   kaycee
    Originally posted by SmilingBluEyes
    I think this is what the OP wanted. LOTS of attention, negative or positive. Most kids do.
    Ditto, lets all just stop feeding this child and ignore!
  12. by   fab4fan
    Sigh...yet another candidate for the "ignore" feature.
  13. by   dawngloves
    What is this ignore feature you all speak of??

close