New to night shiftRegister Today!
- by Emilynn09 Nov 8, '12I will be starting a new job, in a new hospital in a new state. I'm used to working days and I'll be going to nights this time. Wondering if any of you seasoned night nurses have some tips for working nights? Best way to get good sleep in the day? A good reccomendatoon on black out curtains maybe?
- 2,148 Views
- Nov 11, '12 by turnforthenurseRNTry to stay up as late as you can the night before when switching to your night shift schedule. I take something to help me sleep during the day, too. Melatonin is nice because (for me) it works very quickly and it doesn't leave me groggy when I wake up, plus I don't have anticholinergic side effects associated with Benadryl and Unisom (which are other options as well).
Turn your phone off...tell your friends/family when you are sleeping. Remind them that their 2pm is your 2am. Keep your room cool; I like to have my fan running for some white noise. You can purchase black out curtains which are a huge plus, or you can invest in an eye mask to stimulate a dark sleeping environment.
- Nov 11, '12 by Emilynn09Is there a particular brand of black out curtains you can reccomend that are very dark. At night I can't sleep if its not dark. So I worry about that for day sleep.
- Nov 14, '12 by Cougar1113Hi Emilynn09. I work nights and I purchased my curtains from JC Penny .. they are advertised as Blackout Drapes. Talk to the salesperson and let them know what you are looking for. I think mine are made by Eclipse and I used velcro for the sides so there was no gaping. I also use a sleep mask on very sunny summer days and a sound machine is a must! Turn the phone off. If you live in an apartment make sure your close by neighbors know you sleep days so they aren't knocking on the door for something. Good luck!
- Nov 15, '12 by BostonTerrierLoverRNAfter a few sleepless days, that shiny tin foil on the outside gets real easy to look at, real quick!
I wish I had the guts to turn my phone off, but I'm afraid the sky will fall, and I won't know it. I just can't do it! My family and friends are pretty good about calling when I am up, but I would just die if someone needed something, and couldn't reach me- to many people have helped me at odd times to just cut it off.Last edit by BostonTerrierLoverRN on Nov 15, '12 : Reason: Formatting
- Nov 15, '12 by Emilynn09Quote from BostonTerrierLoverRNNo. It won't. LOL. Where I come from, people who have meth labs in their homes put tin foil on the windows. I just couldn't do it. To me, my house would look like a meth lab. No way!!!After a few sleepless days, that shiny tin foil on the outside gets real easy to look at, real quick!
- Nov 15, '12 by BostonTerrierLoverRNWill you check and see if their hiring?
I know the benefits suck, but the hours are better and I hear it pays tax free cash!!!