A little down
- 0Sep 8, '11 by NurseOnAMotorcycleI've been feeling a little down for no reason for the last few days. I've been feeling so bad that I almost called in today just because I felt like I couldn't face a day at work. I went in anyway and mentioned to my friend that I was feeling down in the dumps. Later, just as I was starting to come out of it, she pulled a harmless prank on me that spiraled me right back down.
She pretended that a comment card was written for me by a patient that I had been getting along great with and discharged. It said "You suck big time." The other nurses were in on it.
I don't really think that they meant it because they 'fessed up and were all nice to me, but I feel so crappy right now.
- 1,213 Visits
- 0Sep 8, '11 by JennyNurse2BI am so sorry to hear that you are feeling to bad. Does your workplace have any type of Employee Assistance Program? If so, I would take advantage of it. Maybe they will be able to give you some tips on dealing with times like these.
My prayers are with you and I hope you feel better soon.
- 4Sep 8, '11 by ~*Stargazer*~We all feel down in the dumps sometimes. However, if you find yourself feeling that way a lot, or if you have any thoughts of hurting yourself in any way, you need to get some help sooner rather than later. Talking to someone you trust is a very good first step.
I think it's possible that your co-workers were simply trying to get you to lighten up a bit, albeit in a misguided way. I'd give your friend the benefit of the doubt, unless there is a pattern of derogatory pranks with you as the butt of the joke.
I do hope you feel better soon. Sometimes we just have to ride out these times. But again, if you're having any thoughts about hurting yourself, even if you are sure you'd never do it, please talk to someone.
Best of luck to you!
- 2Sep 9, '11 by jbluehorsehyou need to let your co-works know when they cross the line; it was not a very nice thing they did to you. sometimes it is good to take a mental break, go and do something that makes you feel good, happy and gets your zen back. this job can drag one down and everyone needs an outline or we will never make in nursing.
- 0Sep 9, '11 by carolmaccas66Quote from NurseOnAMotorcycleWhine away, that is what we're here for!I'm not feeling "hurt myself", I've just been kind of bummed.
I'll have forgotten all about it next week, I just felt like whining a bit.
I get like this lately. I am working crazy hours & varying shifts, and trying to catch up on all my post grad study, as I was sick with a persistent virus for nearly 3 weeks. I went to work dreading it a bit tonight, but once I was there and got into the swing of things, I forgot about being down. We all get like that.
Do something you like next time you're off - get a funny DVD, go to the gym, go walking, etc. I like to do pilates as it's calming and centres me again. And a nice glass of wine occasionally doesn't go astray either!
It's this crazy life we lead, no-one but another nurse would understand. You'll be OK mate, just keep plodding along and humming your favourite tune like I do! Oh and do take a multivitamin every day, you may lack Vitamin D - just a wee thought.