Anyone familiar with Miralax prep?Register Today!
- by NewWayofLife Feb 22, '08Hi all,
I had a colonoscopy today (at the ripe old age of 28) because of recurrent abdominal pain, and a very very strong history of GI diseases (colon ca, celiac, diverticulitis, fistulas, stomach ca, and it's on both sides of my family) Thankfully, everything looked fine. The procedure itself was tolerable, and I'm surprised at how awake/alert I've felt after versed/fentanyl!
However... I had a Miralax (238g in 64oz Gatorade over 2 hours) and Bisacodyl (four 5mg tablet) prep yesterday. I was able to drink the entire solution, but started vomiting 5-6 hours later. It's now been more than 8 hours since the procedure and I still have nausea (but able to hold down clears) and have had 4-5 loose stools per hour since I got home.
My parents have had colonoscopies and remember having discomfort from the need to expel the air, but neither had this much nausea or diarrhea post-procedure. Neither of them used the Miralax prep.
Not looking for any medical advice or anything, just wondering if anyone is familiar with this prep and has heard of similar experiences?
- Feb 22, '08 by donsterRNSelf proclaimed king of the coloscopies here...!
I've never done a Miralax prep. I've alternated between the Golytely and the Dulcolax preps and while disgusting, they were both incredibly effective w/o the n/v you've experienced. Post scope, the most discomfort I had was from the instilled air during the procedure. Walking around took care of that!
My doc uses Demerol and Fentanyl. LOVE IT!!!
Glad everything went well for you. I hope someone can identify the cause of your pain. Take care.
- Feb 22, '08 by flightnurse2bwe dont have a miralax prep for colons.. docs just give it out for constipation (and i believe its OTC now). the only thing we give with bisacodyl is halflytely...but their prep of choice is Osmoprep. im sorry your prep was miserable but im happy your colon turned out ok! maybe the post procedure n/v was from demerol?
and just a post scope tip...lay on your belly and roll from side to side, the air will come flying out. hope you feel better soon!
- Feb 23, '08 by NewWayofLifeThanks for the replies...
I'm feeling 100% better today, whatever it was. I'm not going to blame the drugs used for the procedure, because the n/v started about 1AM the night before. It did occur to me that we've had a GI virus going around at work... it would be just my luck that I came down with it in the middle of my colon prep.
And Don, thanks for the kind words. The pain I've been having is very similar to kidney stone pain (I've passed over 20), but I have no obstructing stones right now. Even though I have a "mild" hydronephrosis, the urologists keep telling my primary I shouldn't be in "this much pain". I knew going into this scope that they weren't likely to find anything, but my primary was trying to cover all the bases, especially given my family history. I'm going to have a ureteral stent placed soon, something which HAS relieved my pain in the past. Until then, I've found a med regime that's working to control the pain, and still allowing me to function. It's just too bad it took 2 trips to the ER, a dozen phone calls back and forth to my primary, and two different urologists to come up with it!
- Feb 24, '08 by danh3190I did the Miralax prep when I had my colonoscopy and had no trouble with it at all.
- Feb 24, '08 by maltmom3THe office I work in has used the biscodyl/miralax prep for almost a year with good prep results.We advise the patient to drink 8 oz of gator aid/mirlax every 20 minutes to decrease the nausea.So far this has worked for the patients and the GI docs. Our patients love the one day prep, we provide the bisacodyl tablets and miralx is covered by some insurances with a written rx. Most insurances don't cover miralax. JoAnn
- Apr 6, '08 by george57Many of our patients do the Miralax prep and do well with it. Ask for the Osmol Prep next time. It's in pill form and may be better tolerated for you.
- Apr 6, '08 by madwife2002I had go-lightly but was unable to drink it as I was too sick so I had ducolax pills and an enema very pleasant NOT