The most embarrasing thing you've done at work!

Nurses Humor

Published

Ok, here's my story.

A couple of months ago, we changed from zip uniforms to poppers. So, last night I was with an intubated patient in CT and walked around the table, catching my uniform and giving everyone in the room a nice view of my bra :roll I'm still blushing thinking about it!

So what's the most embarrasing thing you've done?

Not very interesting but I fell face first out of a chair.

Specializes in LTC, home health, critical care, pulmonary nursing.

Ate tile in the middle of the hallway, in front of the nurse, a doctor, the DON and a group of orientees. My shining moment.

Specializes in Utilization Management.

Patient passed out on the commode. I grabbed under the arms in a fireman's lift and moved up over the commode and backwards to the bed, but in the process, my shoe got stuck on something. I yelled, "Hold up!" but the staffer holding the patient's legs up kept going. I fell backwards on the bed and Patient landed on top of me, still out cold.

Worse, I couldn't slide out from under the Patient without dumping her on the floor, so I was stuck lying there like that until the other staffers could roll the Patient off me.

Patient woke up shortly after and was OK after a couple of units of blood, but my coworkers are still giggling about the 2-point landing.

Ok, here's my story.

A couple of months ago, we changed from zip uniforms to poppers. So, last night I was with an intubated patient in CT and walked around the table, catching my uniform and giving everyone in the room a nice view of my bra :roll I'm still blushing thinking about it!

So what's the most embarrasing thing you've done?

I had a similiar experience with a uniform top that buttoned down the front that got caught on a door handle. When I opened the door, all the buttons except for the top one flew off. I had to safety pin my top closed for the rest of the shift. Thank God this happened on midnights. :chuckle

For years I controlled my gallbladder disease by eating an almost vegetarian low fat diet(No medical insurance=no $$$ to pay for operation). Well in nursing school some low fat protein options are too pricey for a student's budget.

I started having episodes of hypoglycemia.

Worst one happened during my ICU rotation. I collapsed at the patient's bedside total loss of consciousness for a moment, everything was black, and I became combative when a nurse and my instructor were trying to pick my butt off the floor. Some OJ and a snack later, I was fine and totally embarrassed. ( I HAD eaten breakfast about 3 hours before.)

Rather embarrassing to know that you smacked your instructor and hit a nurse in the mouth, thankfully it didn't affect my grade and they were understanding.

So I went back to a regular diet per PCP's advise, and tried to keep it as low fat as possible. Something about animal fats just sent the biliary cholic into overdrive.

I while I was a brand new RN in orientation, I had a gallbladder attack that about killed me. I was febrile, vomiting, crawling on my hands and knees from the bathroom to the break room, diaphoretic, crying in horrible pain. My new coworker's had to pick me up off the floor and send my butt to the ER.

I finally got the &^&*^ GB out, no one ever warned me about the dumping syndrome that occurs after a cholecystectomy.

It hit with a passion 3 days post op while on a road trip. I didn't make it to the nearest rest stop. :imbar :imbar

Specializes in LTC, home health, critical care, pulmonary nursing.
For years I controlled my gallbladder disease by eating an almost vegetarian low fat diet(No medical insurance=no $$$ to pay for operation). Well in nursing school some low fat protein options are too pricey for a student's budget.

I started having episodes of hypoglycemia.

Worst one happened during my ICU rotation. I collapsed at the patient's bedside total loss of consciousness for a moment, everything was black, and I became combative when a nurse and my instructor were trying to pick my butt off the floor. Some OJ and a snack later, I was fine and totally embarrassed. ( I HAD eaten breakfast about 3 hours before.)

Rather embarrassing to know that you smacked your instructor and hit a nurse in the mouth, thankfully it didn't affect my grade and they were understanding.

So I went back to a regular diet per PCP's advise, and tried to keep it as low fat as possible. Something about animal fats just sent the biliary cholic into overdrive.

I while I was a brand new RN in orientation, I had a gallbladder attack that about killed me. I was febrile, vomiting, crawling on my hands and knees from the bathroom to the break room, diaphoretic, crying in horrible pain. My new coworker's had to pick me up off the floor and send my butt to the ER.

I finally got the &^&*^ GB out, no one ever warned me about the dumping syndrome that occurs after a cholecystectomy.

It hit with a passion 3 days post op while on a road trip. I didn't make it to the nearest rest stop. :imbar :imbar

Oh, that sucks.:imbar

OK so this story is from when I first started in nursing going on three years ago so don't judge me too harshly. While performing routine peri-care one of the other CNAs had covered the residents entire scrotum in zinc oxide cream and it was white and wrinkled. Thinking it was a balled up wash cloth I tried to pick it up, when it didn't come easily I tried again and said "What is this?" When the elderly resident cried out in pain I quickly realized what was going on and let it go. The other CNA said, "I hope you know, you should have one". Well I was so embarassed that I was glowing bright red. Few people know this story but I have learned much since this time.

OK so this story is from when I first started in nursing going on three years ago so don't judge me too harshly. While performing routine peri-care one of the other CNAs had covered the residents entire scrotum in zinc oxide cream and it was white and wrinkled. Thinking it was a balled up wash cloth I tried to pick it up, when it didn't come easily I tried again and said "What is this?" When the elderly resident cried out in pain I quickly realized what was going on and let it go. The other CNA said, "I hope you know, you should have one". Well I was so embarassed that I was glowing bright red. Few people know this story but I have learned much since this time.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:lol_hitti

Specializes in PERI OPERATIVE.

This happened just a few weeks ago:

Was cleaning up after a delivery. OK, back up. I'm preggo, and the bigger scrub shirts fit better...on the bottom anyway... So, I'm cleaning up and trying to get the stoopid red bag out of the "tub" that collects all the "yuck" from a delivery. I'm having trouble so the dad asks to help. We're both bending over and I notice my shirt is hanging WIDE open. I said "Oh, I guess you get a free show too!" Oh my.

Mine wasnt at work but was school related...

My lab professor happened to be a chiropractor and he eventually talked me into coming into his office (I have had miserable LBP for years)... after about the 2nd or 3rd visit I found that I loved going to get my alignments... I was talking to one of my classmates later that evening and telling her how wonderful my adjustments were going and how I was grateful that I could actually sit almost all the way through lecture, when the gal next to me compared her adjustments to a "quickie" The next time I was in for my visit my chiropractor/lab professor was helping me up he asked how I thought my adjustments were going and I replied "they are the best quickies I have ever had!" and each of us walked out of the room rather red :imbar Thankfully we both have a very good sense of humor and I was able to look at him the next night in class without feeling too embarrassed.

+ Add a Comment