Debinding books?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi everyone

I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum about nursing students who debinded their giant textbooks and put them in a three-ring binder. I thought this was a great idea and looked for the thread where I saw this idea but I couldn't find it. I was wondering where the people that did this took your books to have this done or maybe the thread that this topic was discussed. I have a close to 2000 page book that I would LOVE to do this to! THANKS!!!:monkeydance:

You can slo take it a place liek Kinko's and jsut have it bound into smaller sections. We did it all of the time overseas. Made it much easier to just carry the section that you needed.

Specializes in Med Surg/Tele/ER.

I did this to mine, & would only take the section/s we were doing. I kept each chapter/s with my notes, worked great for test time too! People thought I was nuts for tearing apart my book....but hey I was there to learn, & anything that helped me I was all for.

Specializes in 5 yrs OR, ASU Pre-Op 2 yr. ER.

I had to do this to a few of my thick books because they were falling apart.

Do you guys know any place other than kinkos that does this? I don't have a kinkos anywhere near where I live. Thanks!

Specializes in 5 yrs OR, ASU Pre-Op 2 yr. ER.

Any local print shop probably.

Or maybe an office supply store.

I believe the original thread this topic was in was the Sticky in the General Nursing Student Discussion - What are the item(s) you need most for nursing school.

Specializes in Med Surg/Tele/ER.
Do you guys know any place other than kinkos that does this? I don't have a kinkos anywhere near where I live. Thanks!

I just took an exacto knife...cut all the way through the binding glue...any pages that wanted to come apart I used a stapler. Now its not the prettiest thing but it works!;)

I just took an exacto knife...cut all the way through the binding glue...any pages that wanted to come apart I used a stapler. Now its not the prettiest thing but it works!;)

Great idea!! As long as it works- go for it!

Specializes in Cardiac.
I believe the original thread this topic was in was the Sticky in the General Nursing Student Discussion - What are the item(s) you need most for nursing school.

I posted this in that thread! I did this to every one of my books. One semester it cost me $11. I have found a kinko's or two that didn't want to tear the cover off the book because they are afraid of you accusing them of ruining your book. If this happens, you just tear the cover off and they will do the rest. The initial set up of the machine is about $6, and each book is about $3, so do as many books as possible. They will drill holes in the pages and give it all back to you in a box. Takes about 20 mins. I would carry around the chapters needed for the next test, so they were always with me. Also, I would file the power points next to the chapters. During lecture, if the teacher said something in the book, I would highlight it. If they said it more than once, I would put a star next to it.

Let me tell you how easy it is to argue with a teacher after a test about a question when you can pull out your trim 1" 3 ring notebook and go right to the page! I earned many extra points that way! I got an 4.0 in nursing school, and didn't have to break my back doing it! Good Luck!

I posted this in that thread! I did this to every one of my books. One semester it cost me $11. I have found a kinko's or two that didn't want to tear the cover off the book because they are afraid of you accusing them of ruining your book. If this happens, you just tear the cover off and they will do the rest. The initial set up of the machine is about $6, and each book is about $3, so do as many books as possible. They will drill holes in the pages and give it all back to you in a box. Takes about 20 mins. I would carry around the chapters needed for the next test, so they were always with me. Also, I would file the power points next to the chapters. During lecture, if the teacher said something in the book, I would highlight it. If they said it more than once, I would put a star next to it.

Let me tell you how easy it is to argue with a teacher after a test about a question when you can pull out your trim 1" 3 ring notebook and go right to the page! I earned many extra points that way! I got an 4.0 in nursing school, and didn't have to break my back doing it! Good Luck!

Thanks so much for posting! It was your post I was looking for! I forgot where I found it. This sounds like such a great idea. I am going to look around for a place to do it since I don't have a kinkos in the area. Thanks for such a great idea!

Wow this is such an awesome idea! I am definately taking all my books down to Kinkos when I get them!

I also like the highlighting and starring idea and will use that as well!

Thanks for sharing!

+ Add a Comment