Liability Insurance

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

Specializes in Mother/Baby;L/D.

So do most nurses out there carry your own insurance ? Working in L/D, an area that has high liability issues, do you guys believe in carrying personal insurance? I have heard with a policy, the lawyers can actually personally come after to you, since you have an empty policy there..

I understand that ur hospital will cover you, but isnt that if you are completely following the policies and procedures 110% ? I'm confused !! HELP

Specializes in OB, lactation.

I have insurance and wouldn't go without. I use NSO.

It seems that everyone has a different philosophy on the topic but that's my camp. I do not trust the hospital to stick up for me if it comes down to me or them. Here is one quote from NSO "For instance, if you were represented personally, you could bring to light issues such as understaffing, JCAHO violations, lack of adequate training and other issues which, while not true defenses to malpractice, could clearly enhance your position. If the hospital's attorneys represent you, those issues will hardly be brought to light."

I know the subject has been discussed here on the OB forum before with some of the point for each side made... maybe it would come up in a search.

Specializes in Med/Surg, Ortho.

Buy it and keep the information to your self. If people dont know you have it you will be less likely to have to use it. No reason for anyone other than you to know you carry it.

thats true..i would keep things like that private. I'm just worried about lawyers that would find that out for themselves...hmmmmmm thanks for the input!

Specializes in ED, ICU, PSYCH, PP, CEN.

I wouldn't leave the house without it, NSO. The hospital is not going to have your best interest at heart, only their own. It is cheap 100$ a year to protect yourself and your license.

Specializes in CVICU, MICU, CCRN-CSC.
I wouldn't leave the house without it, NSO. The hospital is not going to have your best interest at heart, only their own. It is cheap 100$ a year to protect yourself and your license.

If you do not follow the hospital protocol exactly, the hosptial will blame you for the incident. Regardless if it is because your pharmacy stinks, you did not have any help etc...they will hang your a** out to dry. And I love my job and my managers. But, the hospital is out to protect themselves, not you or your house....and it does not matter how "good" of a nurse you are...they will hang you. And no, this is not from personal experience, just the experieces of other respected wonderful nurses. Plus, we are human and we can make mistakes, no matter how careful we are.

yea that was how i felt cvicurn2003 until i recently went to an OB conference and the speaker basically said if we have a policy the money hungry lawyers will find out and then personally name you..i guess id rather have protection. thanks so much

Specializes in jack of all trades.

http://www.nursingceu.com/courses/147/index_nceu.html

Anyone questioning if is needed or worth it please read the above url. I wouldnt go without it. Dont forget it also covers you if your employer or anyone else should bring you before your State BON for any reason. Who's got your back then if you dont have $20,000 to spare for attorney fees not to mention if you fight it then you have to pay for not only yours but thier investigation, depositions, etc.?

+ Add a Comment