The union will lower my pay...........

Nurses Union

Published

Specializes in OR Hearts 10.

:typing This is what I was told by one of my fellow nurses today. I'm in Texas (YEAH Cypress nurses!!)

Afew years ago my facility had a union vote. They brought in some truckers union or something. Well, one of the things they were told by administration was that the union would even out wages, so those that are now topped out would end up with lower wages. And those with lower wages would get an increase. I don't see how that is possible. I'm just trying to learn something for next time.

Thanks for all the hard work you all are doing for nursing.

This is a great start to a discussion thread on the kinds of things employers say to keep people from voting to organize. There's no way any union will lower any nurse's pay.

Let me just give a little personal history though.

When we started organizing at my hospital, it was in 2000. I was at the top wage rate for the time, which was 24.96, if I remember correctly - I might be off a penny or two.

Over the years, we had typically gotten increases across the board of around 2 per cent per year - not counting step increases. What the hospital called "market adjustments", what most nurses thought of as "cost of living increases". Some years, thee was none at all.

The first thing that happened was the hospital gave us all a 7% increase to try to bribe us not to unionize. We were happy to take it, but it didn't change our minds any.

When we bargained our contract, we asked the hospital for a list of what everyone made. They had to give it to us. There were 106 different rates of pay for 460 nurses. Not that uncommon in an non-union hospital.

And people had started at all different rates, depending on how hard they bargained and what the market conditions were when they started. So a nurse who had been there 10 years might work next to a nurse who had only been there 5 but made more money. All nuts.

We were able to create a rational step system, so that everyone knew where they should be, what their next raise would be and when they would get it. And no one went down any in the process. Some, who were below where they should be, went up more than others but no one went down.

We've averaged about 6% annual increases since we organized - plus the usual 3 % annual steps for experience naturally. I'm now at nearly twice what I was when we organized. The dues I pay are a drop in the bucket next to the gains.

And better yet, I'm part of a real RN union that fights for patient care protections and better healthcare for all.

So how about it What other anti-union rumors has anyone heard? Either those of you who work in non-union hospitals or those of you who are organized and remember what your employer said to try to scare you out of it?

Lets get them out on the table and talk about them. See if anyone has one I haven't heard yet.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Tele, Hem/Onc, BMT.

Great thread idea!

Here in Cleveland one of the hospital giants has been telling nurses that they don't need a union because the hospital has sent representaives to "a union hospital" to bring back all the good things. "This way you can have all the things a union provides without paying dues". "We can do this ourselves, you don't need the union". We are a "Magnet hospital and our committees can come to the right decisions".

That was nearly a year ago...no good things seemed to have made their way back!

I could not believe that one when I heard it from a former co-worker.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Tele, Hem/Onc, BMT.

Speaking of Magnet...check out these position statements published by the Mass Nurses. It seems that the idea will just not work...

http://www.massnurses.org/News/2004/magnet.htm

Specializes in School Nursing.

I lost both money and benefits when I was forced to unionize.

Specializes in Peds, PICU, adult telemetry.

Never heard of any nurses' wages being reduced by a union...it is just the contrary. With just the prospect of our nurses opting for union representation our hospital gave all of the registered nurses 6-10% raises this past month. Was this just a coincidence or strategic planning on their part? As CNA/NNOC only represents registered nurses our LVN's were totally ignored...the hospital gave them nothing!! Nurse's need union representation to prevent these types of injustices. Hang in there; be determined; take control of your nursing practice with the support of a professional nursing organization such as CNA/NNOC.

Highly unlikely. There is roughly a 20 percent premium in pay and benefits for a union worker as compared to a non-union worker. There are also studies that show that unionized hospitals deliver higher quality care.

I lost both money and benefits when I was forced to unionize.

I would really like to hear where this was and what union it was with. It would sure never happen in California. I suppose somewhere there might be a union that imcompetent, but it's hard to imagine it.

Specializes in ER, PCU, ICU.
... There are also studies that show that unionized hospitals deliver higher quality care.

Would like to see those studies please.

Specializes in Critical care, tele, Medical-Surgical.
Would like to see those studies please.

I've attached one.

I've attached one.

Great article- and from a respected and reliable source: Lippincott!

Thanks!

:typing This is what I was told by one of my fellow nurses today. I'm in Texas (YEAH Cypress nurses!!)

Afew years ago my facility had a union vote. They brought in some truckers union or something. Well, one of the things they were told by administration was that the union would even out wages, so those that are now topped out would end up with lower wages. And those with lower wages would get an increase. I don't see how that is possible. I'm just trying to learn something for next time.

Thanks for all the hard work you all are doing for nursing.

What you heard was a rumour. Please wait until you get the facts to form an opinion.:wink2:

+ Add a Comment