Male + Nurse = Murse

Nurses Men

Published

Specializes in Critical Care.

Hello everyone. I was wanting to get all of your perceptions on the word MURSE. All of my high school friends and life-long friends always refer to me as a murse. This does not offend me in anyway, shape or form. I have; however, encountered some nurses that think this term is negative. Can I get your feedback?

Hello everyone. I was wanting to get all of your eprceptions on the word MURSE. All of my high school friends and life-long friends always refer to me as a murse. This does not offend me in anyway, shape or form. I have; however, encountered some nurses that think this term is negative. Can I get your feedback?

It's silly and completely unnecessary.

I'm comfortable enough about who I am to not need to make up new terms to justify my existence.

Not trying to be confrontational. That's just my straight shot feel about it.

~faith,

Timothy.

Specializes in Telemetry, OR, ICU.

I'm comfortable enough about who I am to not need to make up new terms to justify my existence.

~faith,

Timothy.

Timothy, I agree 100% with you!

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

I'm not male. But, I totally agree with the above.

Silly.

Does that mean WOman+nuRSE= WORSE, Thats the first thing that popped into my head anyways. LOL, I agree just silly.

Brandy

Does that mean WOman+nuRSE= WORSE, Thats the first thing that popped into my head anyways. LOL, I agree just silly.

Brandy

:lol2:

Brandy, you are too funny, LOL.

:rotfl:

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

LOL Brandy.

If my friends called me a "murse" in good fun, as a pet name, or nickname that would be o.k. because they are my friends. They call me worse.

But professionally speaking, no I don't want to be referred to as a murse.

LOL Brandy.

If my friends called me a "murse" in good fun, as a pet name, or nickname that would be o.k. because they are my friends. They call me worse.

But professionally speaking, no I don't want to be referred to as a murse.

LOL Tweety, I think I'll pass on any pet names regards to my nursing profession. My wife is the only person that ... oh never mind.

Specializes in ER/Trauma.

Nurse works just fine for me :)

~faith,

Timothy.

I think I was misunderstood. I did not coin the term. I am a nurse. I never have refered to myself as a murse. I am proud to be a nurse. My friends heard the term on the TV sitcom Scrubs and thought it was funny. They also call me burse for -Big Nurse. Not to worry, I did not take it from a confrontational POV. I jsut wanted to hear what people thought about it.

Also, don't you kind of hate it that everytime someone talks about you that they refer to you as a male nurse. I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed this. My father, when he speaks of me to his friends, says that his son is a Male Nurse. They know I am male. Oh well.

i think if your a nurse not matter what sex you are you should be called a nurse. females and males go throught the same training and tkae the same exam.

...i just wanted to hear what people thought about it.

nothing personal against you, some of us just don't like the term murse ;)

also, don't you kind of hate it that everytime someone talks about you that they refer to you as a male nurse. i don't know if anyone else has ever noticed this. my father, when he speaks of me to his friends, says that his son is a male nurse. they know i am male. oh well.

nope, i like being called a male rn [look at my sig :)].

imho, even in these progressive modern times most non-healthcare professionals think of :nurse:a female when they hear the word nurse.

+ Add a Comment