Some questions about heparin/coumadin, help!

Nursing Students Student Assist

Published

Specializes in LTC.

Hi there,

Here's a few questions for ya, if you could help me that would be great!

1. What lab value is monitored to dtermine the correct blood level for heparin? For coumadin? What is considered therapeutic?

I THINK: INR for coumadin 1.3-2 and PT-11.6-9.8seconds

HEPARIN: APTT 20-30 seconds to maintain

APTT: 1.5-2.5 x normal therapeutic

2. If someone on either of these requires surgery or begins to bleed, how would the effects be reversed?

I THINK: Antitdote for heparin is propamine sulfate which helps stop the bleeding.

3. What is the stated advantage of the new low-molecular weight heparins ovet the older cheaper version? NOT SURE

4. Heparin is given prophylactically to the post-postoperative patient. What does that mean? why is it given to this group of patients?

I THINK: It is also used prophylctilcally in patients with short term increased risk of thrombus formation, such as in the postoperative period after a total hip replacement.

5.Heparin is given therapeuticallly to someone who has developed DVT or to someone who is suspected of having a pulmonary embolus. What is the difference between the prophylactic and therapeutic dosages and method of administration?NOT SURE

6. What is the most common medication error related to administering heparin? NOT sure yet

I answered some of these but I want to see what you came up with. These are just extra study questions that would be nice to know. I know it's alot but I'm not 100% sure i'm right and i just want to see what you come up with. Thank you SO much!

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

question #1

what lab value is monitored to determine the correct blood level for heparin? ptt for coumadin? pt/inr what is considered therapeutic? see web links

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/pt/glance.html

question #2.

if someone on either of these requires surgery or begins to bleed, how would the effects be reversed?

for heparin:
http://www.drugs.com/pdr/heparin_sodium.html

for coumadin:
http://www.drugs.com/pdr/coumadin_tablets.html#o05

both sites are the information from the pdr and include what is to be done in case of overdosage.

question #3.

what is the stated advantage of the new low-molecular weight heparins ovet the older cheaper version? not sure

me, neither.

question #4.

heparin is given prophylactically to the post-postoperative patient. what does that mean? why is it given to this group of patients?

a prophylactic dose is one given to keep the coagulation factors at a level that will
prevent
the formation of blood clots, particularly in the lungs, although a blood clot can occur in any blood vessel of the body. post-op patients who are going to be on bed rest and not moving around very much are at a greater risk of forming blood clots due to less movement. you might want to review the effects of bed rest in the formation of blood clots.

questions #5.

heparin is given therapeutically to someone who has developed dvt or to someone who is suspected of having a pulmonary embolus. what is the difference between the prophylactic and therapeutic dosages and method of administration?

a prophylactic dose is given with the focus of
preventing
something from happening.

a therapeutic dose is given with the focus of
healing
something that has already occurred.

question #6.

what is the most common medication error related to administering heparin?

check out this web site:

http://www.ismp.org/
(institute for safe medicine practices)

just do a search on the site for heparin and you will get a return of articles or reports where heparin was involved in medication errors. you can compile a list of the errors related to administering heparin from that. i don't know that there is one particular common error that is listed anywhere. some of the incidents cited at this site, however are rather interesting. i saw one report of heparin being mistaken used as kcl and another of a pre-filled heparin syringe confused with a pre-filled syringe of phenytoin.

also, check out this thread which is currently active in this same forum:

https://allnurses.com/forums/f205/can-someone-explain-ptt-aptt-inr-138282.html

Specializes in LTC.
question #1

what lab value is monitored to determine the correct blood level for heparin? ptt for coumadin? pt/inr what is considered therapeutic? see web links

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/pt/glance.html

question #2.

if someone on either of these requires surgery or begins to bleed, how would the effects be reversed?

for heparin:
http://www.drugs.com/pdr/heparin_sodium.html

for coumadin:
http://www.drugs.com/pdr/coumadin_tablets.html#o05

both sites are the information from the pdr and include what is to be done in case of overdosage.

question #3.

what is the stated advantage of the new low-molecular weight heparins ovet the older cheaper version? not sure

me, neither.

question #4.

heparin is given prophylactically to the post-postoperative patient. what does that mean? why is it given to this group of patients?

a prophylactic dose is one given to keep the coagulation factors at a level that will
prevent
the formation of blood clots, particularly in the lungs, although a blood clot can occur in any blood vessel of the body. post-op patients who are going to be on bed rest and not moving around very much are at a greater risk of forming blood clots due to less movement. you might want to review the effects of bed rest in the formation of blood clots.

questions #5.

heparin is given therapeutically to someone who has developed dvt or to someone who is suspected of having a pulmonary embolus. what is the difference between the prophylactic and therapeutic dosages and method of administration?

a prophylactic dose is given with the focus of
preventing
something from happening.

a therapeutic dose is given with the focus of
healing
something that has already occurred.

question #6.

what is the most common medication error related to administering heparin?

check out this web site:

http://www.ismp.org/
(institute for safe medicine practices)

just do a search on the site for heparin and you will get a return of articles or reports where heparin was involved in medication errors. you can compile a list of the errors related to administering heparin from that. i don't know that there is one particular common error that is listed anywhere. some of the incidents cited at this site, however are rather interesting. i saw one report of heparin being mistaken used as kcl and another of a pre-filled heparin syringe confused with a pre-filled syringe of phenytoin.

also, check out this thread which is currently active in this same forum:

https://allnurses.com/forums/f205/can-someone-explain-ptt-aptt-inr-138282.html

wow!!!!!!:) :) :) thanks you sooooo much!

if anyone could also explain to me in easy terms what inr is, i would appeciate it. i keep reading it and reading it in my book and it says:

inr(international normalized ratio), has been developed to measure therapeutic levels of warfarin. the inr is determined by a mathmatical equation and reflects the patient's pt compared withthe standaridized pt value.

so i guess the standardized value is the "normal" value and the patients but it doesn't specify an equation but i guess it's not that important. i'm just a tad confused.

but again thank you so much(above poster) for getting back, you don't know how much that means!!!

i'm saving this under my favorites!!!

Specializes in NICU.

Great info! Just a quick way our instructor taught us to keep track of which test is for which drug - count on your fingers :)

CoumadinPT = 10 fingers

HeparinPTT = 10 fingers

Hope that makes sense.

Specializes in Case Mgmt, Anesthesia, ICU, ER, Dialysis.

Coumadin interferes with the extrinsic clotting pathway.

Heparin interferes with the intrinsic clotting pathway.

(And you thought you'd never use all that A&P! :) )

Heparin itself it a poor anticoagulant. The value of Heparin is that it drastically increases activity of antithrombin, making it 1,000 to 10,000 times more active when Heparin is bound to it. Antithrombin binds to and inactivates thrombin(factor IIa), preventing it from splitting fibrinogen (inactivated form) into fibrin (activated form). It also IXa, Xa, XIa, XIIa.

Coumadin interferes with Vitamin K metabolism in the liver, itself. It interferes with production of factors II, VII, IX and X.

As for why low molecular weight heparin is beneficial: it has to do with distribution of drug in the body. Drugs with a molecular weight higher than 1000 have a hard time diffusing across biologic membranes. Heparin's is ~12000. LMWH's is less than 1000.

Hope that helps.

Specializes in Geriatrics, Transplant, Education.
Coumadin interferes with the extrinsic clotting pathway.

Heparin interferes with the intrinsic clotting pathway.

(And you thought you'd never use all that A&P! :) )

Heparin itself it a poor anticoagulant. The value of Heparin is that it drastically increases activity of antithrombin, making it 1,000 to 10,000 times more active when Heparin is bound to it. Antithrombin binds to and inactivates thrombin(factor IIa), preventing it from splitting fibrinogen (inactivated form) into fibrin (activated form). It also IXa, Xa, XIa, XIIa.

Coumadin interferes with Vitamin K metabolism in the liver, itself. It interferes with production of factors II, VII, IX and X.

As for why low molecular weight heparin is beneficial: it has to do with distribution of drug in the body. Drugs with a molecular weight higher than 1000 have a hard time diffusing across biologic membranes. Heparin's is ~12000. LMWH's is less than 1000.

Hope that helps.

Also regarding why LMWH is beneficial--in situations where LMWH or Heparin is being used for post-op prophylaxis, I'd say fewer needle sticks are a benefit. When I receive post op pts to rehab on heparin, they are typically on 5,000 units SC q8h. When I receive people on Lovenox, they are typically on 30mg or 40mg SC q24h.

INR target for coumadin is typically 2.0-3.0. Someone who has a-fib may have a target of 1.5-2.5. A normal person's INR really has no value- it is only a test for those on coumadin. A person who is on coumadin will take 2-3 times longer to clot than a person not on it. So a bolus of lovenox/heparin to stop the clot in it's tracks from spreading( the body will absorb the clot), the coumadin is started the next day but takes several days to kick in. Once the patient has been on coumadin and stabilized at a INR of 2.0, lovenox (qd vs.bid dosing) is d/c'd and pt remains on coumadin only. Protamine sulfate reverses heparin, vit K reverses coumadin. For big bad massive clots, they will get tPA.

A concern with heparin is HIT (heparin induced thrombocytopenia- so you need to know your pt's platelet count.

I could go on and on, I had a PE in Jan and just came off of coumadin- INR stabilization was tricky d/t diet- but it is easier to change the dose than the healthy diet! Leafy greens have vit K so INR will drop,increasing clot risk.

There are a TON of drug interactions that potentiate(increase) or negate (decrease) effects of coumadin. Patients may know it as "thicken or thin your blood" , it's not really " thin" just a greater or lessened ability to clot. Your drug book will be your best friend for q's like these-- Davis' and Mosby's will both list much of the info you asked--hth!

Specializes in CTICU.

I have rarely seen INR target for AF be as low as 1.5. This paper suggests 2.5 max. Valve patients often have a higher target.

http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/493854

We have recently stopped using lovenox to bridge low INR as we have noted an increased incidence of intracranial hemorrhage with its use. We are bringing patients back inhouse and bridging with heparin infusion instead.

Specializes in Case Mgmt, Anesthesia, ICU, ER, Dialysis.

Yes ma'am, I have taken care of some Lovenox-induced (at least WE think so!) ICH's. Yay for y'all! ;)

Specializes in Pysch, SN, Med-Surg.

Re: Question 2

if a pt is on coumadin/heparin theraphy and are expected to have surgery, typically these meds are held in advanced and labs are drawn to determine their risk for bleeding.

I have rarely seen INR target for AF be as low as 1.5. This paper suggests 2.5 max. Valve patients often have a higher target.

http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/493854

We have recently stopped using lovenox to bridge low INR as we have noted an increased incidence of intracranial hemorrhage with its use. We are bringing patients back inhouse and bridging with heparin infusion instead.

I had an initial shot of lovenox then Arixtra to bridge.

Specializes in CTICU.

Yes, fondaparinux is a great and under-utilized drug.

Re surgery - drugs are held, INR and aPTT checked, and patients can receive Vit K or FFP if required to reverse high INR. Because heparin has a shorter duration of action, it doesn't usually require reversal.

+ Add a Comment