Hello and SEC Assessment

World International

Published

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time in this forum. This is really very informative forum. I need to ask if anyone knows about SEC assessment. Please I need some help and also anyone knows about the assessment dates.

Thank you

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

Hi and welcome to the site

What is SEC assessment?

Hi,

The SEC is Substantially Equivalent Competency (SEC) Assessment

Under new legislation in Alberta — the Health Professionals Act (HPA) — CARNA may require Internationally Educated Nurses to have a Substantially Equivalent Competency (SEC) assessment completed.

Hi,

The SEC is Substantially Equivalent Competency (SEC) Assessment

Under new legislation in Alberta-the Health Professionals Act (HPA)-CARNA may require Internationally Educated Nurses to have a Substantially Equivalent Competency (SEC) assessment completed.

Thanks for explaining, will move to the Canadian forum for further input. Good luck

Specializes in LTC, public health, School, now Med/surg.

Is this the assessment for international nurses coming into Canada? If it is I just finished. I'm just double checking Nova Scotia aparently uses different terminology. When I did it they set up a time with me. They did a battery of tests written oral and clinical. Whole thing took a week about 36 hours total. You should be recieving a phone number/email or address of the people doing the assessment if you applied to sit CRNA's.

Hi if you applied with CARNA, I recommend you to check the site below, It's the website of Mount Royal College, they are the institution that gives SEC in Alberta (please note implementing institution is different in other provinces). It is available 5 days a week, except holidays. You can have your schedule by contacting Mount Royal College and it depends on the availability of your preferred date.

http://www.mtroyal.ca/ProgramsCourses/FacultiesSchoolsCentres/HealthCommunityStudies/Programs/IENAssessmentCentre/SECAssessment/index.htm

Specializes in OR/DR/RR, Surgical Unit.

Is CARNA the only one that require SEC? May I know the other province that require SEC?

Is CARNA the only one that require SEC? May I know the other province that require SEC?

Nova Scotia have started doing it. BC I think does it and probably see others do it or something similar. A lot will depend on transcripts and training

Specializes in intensive care, recovery, anesthetics.

Saskatchewan does it as well.

5cats

Is it true that SEC in Saskatchewan is free? How is it done?

Specializes in intensive care, recovery, anesthetics.

Yeah, no fee for the assessment.

Procedure is the same as in Alberta.

5cats

How is SEC done in Saskatchewan. Can you give me an overview? Thanks:nuke:

+ Add a Comment