bsn new grad jobs?Register Today!
- by j5676c Feb 10, '11while reading the posts, it seems that a lot of the people having a hard time finding jobs are nurses with associate degrees. iím just wondering if new grad nurses with bsn degrees are having the same problem.
- Feb 10, '11 by mnf4everFor me, its the opposite. A lot of ADN's in my area are getting all the RN jobs. I'm not sure why, maybe because hospitals can pay them less. Seems like my BSN is worth less than the paper it's printed on!! They say they prefer BSN's, but in reality why are all the ADN's getting jobs?? Sorry if I sound just a bit bitter...
- Feb 11, '11 by hiddencatRNIn my area everyone is struggling, although things are opening up a bit. BSN grads do a little better because we have several major hospitals that only hire BSN new grads. But there are a TON of nursing schools locally.
- Feb 11, '11 by j5676cwhere are you guys located at?
- Feb 11, '11 by meggoI think it depends on where you are located. Many of the GN internships require a BSN, others just say they prefer so who knows if they really do or not. If you are in an area that has a shortage it probably won't matter what degree you have but if the hospitals are able to be picky you want to look as good as possible on paper to help yourself stand out.
- Feb 11, '11 by Love_RNI'm a BSN grad from abroad, no license yet in NY. I am open to relocation. Can you suggest areas/states that would welcome people like me?
- Feb 11, '11 by MeriwhenQuote from mnf4everIn my area, it seems like the diploma students have the advantage over the degree holders...and that's because the two big hospital chains have their own schools attached to them and prefer their own graduates. But it's still tough for them too since the area is flooded with new grads of all types. Too many new grads, not enough jobs.For me, its the opposite. A lot of ADN's in my area are getting all the RN jobs. I'm not sure why, maybe because hospitals can pay them less. Seems like my BSN is worth less than the paper it's printed on!! They say they prefer BSN's, but in reality why are all the ADN's getting jobs?? Sorry if I sound just a bit bitter...
- Feb 11, '11 by JSTARZhmm...i assume it just depends. Here in LA its rough for all new grads. Luckily if you graduated from a college that is a part of a hospital they tend to choose their grads first. As far as the reply that they can pay ADNs and Diploma RN's less...i cant agree. Being since the pay difference here is 25 cents/hour. So Great! you have your BSN!! wow! so that just makes you a "new grad with a BSN" lol the new grad portion is the curse!! Not the degree at all here lol. In conclusion all new grads here are struggling and as soon as you mention the "N.G. word" your application more than like gets the boot. SAD!!! Good luck to everyone!
- Feb 12, '11 by tashacorinneI was JUST wondering the same thing. I live in northern CA and my nursing school has a pretty good percentage of who gets a job after graduation... I'm hoping that still stays true *crosses fingers* Good luck!
- Feb 12, '11 by m2theRZAI think it really depends on where you're located ... and if you're applying to Magnet status hospitals (who prefer BSN-prepared grads to maintain their magnet status recognition-- and often give their ADN-prepared nurses who are already working there 10 years to get their BSN).
In NYC, at least, there are a LOT of nursing schools that are continuously pumping out BSN-prepared new grads. This, compounded by the recent hospital closures (St. Vincent, North General, and now possibly LICH) make it extremely hard for even BSN-prepared nurses to land jobs as they are competing with an applicant pool of experienced nurses. I moved out of NYC and am continuing to job hunt in southern california. Since graduating in December, I was already able to land an interview with the first hospital i applied to - but it involved a lot of persistence and follow-up with HR. Anyway, regardless, we are all in this together so I'm sending out positive vibes to everyone and wish everyone the best of luck in their job search!!