What was the MOST BIZARRE thing a pt has been brought to ER for (and lived to tell)? - page 2
You know...impaled by a fence, or swallowed 50 screws, or that sort of thing! Thought we'd try again - that last thread (the WORST thing) was too sad to read. I'd love to hear about those... Read More
Nov 20, '0612 y/o boy c/o hip pain after football game,..Xray showed a whole glass thermometer, intact, in his bladder...radiologist said it had been there for some time as it had large calcifications around it, kids swore he "swallowed it"...been a long time since I took an anatomy class,.but....
32 y/o male, bussiness suit,.4pm,.refuses to tell triage what the problem is,..I take him to a room,.refuses to tell me what is wrong,.insists on seeing a doctor,...had a shaving cream can stuck where it didn't belong,."was experimenting" wanted us to "get it out real fast" had to pick his kids up at daycare in 45 min,..I sure the surgeon worked as fast as he could,......
Nov 20, '06The old guy with a jigsaw blade in the urethra....
The dude who popped what he thought was a pimple on his scrotum....it was really a hematocele, tried and tried to get it to stop bleeding. He tried to cauterize it himself with a soldering gun, that didn't help. He HAD to go to work so he put on one of those alligator paper clams on the area until he got off then came and checked in. Now that is what I call dedication.
untold numbers of "lost" toys.
Nov 21, '06How about the woman who was driving to work early one morning and hit a chain link fence? The top rail of the fence broke and impaled her thru the mouth emerging from the back of her neck? She was awake and alert on the medic's arrival and remained so. They had to cut the fence rail to get her out of the car and brought her to our ER still with the piece of fence in place!!!! I saw her awhile back and she is doing quite well.
Or how about the psych patient who charged up the defibrillator (she'd seen it on tv and shocked herself?
Or........the woman who came in complaining about abd pain? She had decided to do her own tummy tuck and had used large safety? pins and folded over her skin and pinned it in place, then sewed a few stitches in with heavy black thread!!!!
Nov 21, '06I know the title includes "lived to tell" but this one is too bizarre to not share even though the guy didn't make it.
A man went to the home of his daughter's boyfriend. Evidently he told the guy to stay away from his daughter. As he was driving away the guy threw a wrench at the father and it penetrated his skull and lodged in his brain.Last edit by Natkat on Nov 21, '06
Nov 22, '06We had a gentleman come in with the leg of a bar stool in his eye. Apparently after drinking a few too many, he was bench pressing a bar stool with someone sitting on it and it slipped. Amazingly, it did not go into his brain, but he did lose the eye. That was one bizarre x-ray.
Nov 22, '06While I do not work in an ER, I thought something that happened today was rather funny, a patient came into our clinic today and stated he needed to be seen because he took vitamins and beer at the same time. According to him he had a stomachache. However, I think it was more the beer than the vitamins behind it. You gotta watch out for those college kids!
Nov 22, '06Beware this might make you puke! A man in a long trench coat, obviously in pain,had a dead cat attached to his organ!!!!!!!!! Needless to say the surgery involved required a total repair of said organ - now rendered useless.(I suppose that's something we should be thankful for)
Nov 22, '06Quote from atep[font="comic sans ms"]darwinism at it's finest -- he is now removed from the gene pool -- hopefully before he had a chance to reproduce!beware this might make you puke! a man in a long trench coat, obviously in pain,had a dead cat attached to his organ!!!!!!!!! needless to say the surgery involved required a total repair of said organ - now rendered useless.(i suppose that's something we should be thankful for)
Nov 22, '06My sister works in the ER and a homless man was brought in by ambulance with abdominal pain. The EMT had a barf bag around her neck. When my sister asked her why the EMT told her the homeless guy was eating a raw, dead dog that he had just killed. I guess the stench was awful. The guy had a rib bone in his hand that he wouldn't give up. It was sad, but nasty!
Nov 22, '06Quote from atepOk, so I'm incredibly happy that he's out of the gene pool...but I'm just hoping the cat was already dead when he decided to 'use' itBeware this might make you puke! A man in a long trench coat, obviously in pain,had a dead cat attached to his organ!!!!!!!!! Needless to say the surgery involved required a total repair of said organ - now rendered useless.(I suppose that's something we should be thankful for)
Nov 22, '06I was working ER years ago when a very high society lady came in for a pelvic exam. I gave her a gown and asked her to undress and left the room to let the doc know she was ready for him.
He came in and we put her in the stirrups. Low and behold a green stamp was stuck to hair in her peri area. The doc winked at me, took the stamp off and continued the exam. It was all I could do not to laugh.
After she left he said he should have asked her if her green stamp book was filled.
(for you who are to young to remember, green stamps used to be given out at stores, you would collect them to turn them in for items in a catalog)
Nov 22, '063 years ago I floated to ER. My first patient was a guy and his girlfriend came in for moral support. He was complaining of not being able to void. I bladder scanned him and he was over 1000cc.
The story came out after I asked him how long it had been since he had voided. He causually said, "Ever since she (pointimg to his girl friend) put the pinto beans in my penis to see how far they would shoot out when I pee."
He ended up in surgery. The the dried pinto beans had swollen from exposure to the urine and he could not pass them.
After they left the ER other nurses told me they were monthly visitors to the ER for foreign body removal from their private places.
When will people learn! lol
Nov 22, '06Yesterday we had this guy come in after query being exposed to radiation, as he was digging up toxic waste without protective clothing for two days. He came in because he had these blisters that had come up on his chest. We had 3 fire trucks come out, the hazmat team, they locked down the ER, had the news there etc. In the end, turned out that the blisters were chicken pox, LOL!