- 0Oct 20, '08 by CNAMichellewould anyone want to list some medical abbreviations I may need to learn? I like to get a good head start thanks,Michelle ps. I have my book,been going over it,but it really doesnt list many abbreviations.
- 1Oct 20, '08 by nrsin4In my CNA class we learned 130 abbreviations and we had 40 on our class final. Then we got to clinicals at the hospital and there were signs posted at every single nurses' "mini-station" that said, "SAVE A LIFE...DON'T ABBREVIATE". I asked about it and they said, "Yeah, you should take one of these signs to your instructor so that they don't waste time teaching you those anymore." The only abbreviation that is still allowed at the hospital is NPO (nothing by mouth).
The funny thing is the nursing/health college that I took my class at is connected to the hospital that I did clinicals at, so you'd think they'd follow what the hospital does.
- 1Oct 20, '08 by RN2BMU2009_
Npo: nothing by mouth
PRN: as needed
BID: twice a day
TID: three times a day
AC: before meals (remember about to chow)
PC: after meals (remember post chow)
BRP: bathroom privledges
BSC: bedside commode
Ad lib: at discretion
ROM: range of motion
hopefully you will be employed in a place were all documentation is on the computer and you won't have to worry about it at all. Most of these you will only remember through repitition on the job.
- 0Oct 23, '08 by PBAJSadding to the above ...
adl: activities of daily living
bm: bowel movement
hob: head of bed
hs/hs: hour of sleep; bedtime
i&o: intake and output
oob: out of bed
ot: occupational therapy
pt: physical therapy
qd/qd: every day
q2hr/q2hr: every two hours
tpr: temperature, pulse, respiration
vs: vital signs
w/c: wheel chair
temperature: 98.6 po/po = by mouth; 98.6 r = rectal; 98.6 ax = axillary
nas: no added salt
ncs: no concentrated sweets
- 0Oct 24, '08 by CNAMichellethanks for all those pbajs! and thanks to everyone else,I also found a site online that named 161 common abbreviations,so I got some index cards and made 60 flashcards,studied them ,had the hubby call them out to me and I now know 60 new abbreviations.gonna make 60 more today....course I know I probably don't need to know that many,but what is it gonna hurt? I enjoy learning them.:typing