IV certified LVN- Scope of practice

  1. I am a new LVN in California. I am IV and blood draw certified. I think I am about to be hired and the Neurologist I would be working for gave me a brief description of the job: administering Immunoglobulin via port and IV. He and an RN will be present when I perform these duties and I will shadow with both before I start. Is this within my scope of practice? I will call my IV cert instructor but she is pretty difficult to understand and very difficult to get a hold of. Thank you!
  2. Visit tketels profile page

    About tketels

    Joined: Oct '11; Posts: 3


  3. by   SkylerW
    In most states you can do most things in a docs office.
  4. by   Dazglue
    I guess you need to check with your state's BON. Here at my hospital, LPN's are not allowed to access any ports. Each state is different and I don't know anything about California. Sorry.
  5. by   rtx723
    In California, as an lvn you cannot administer anything other than normal saline. Accessing
    ports, giving iv antibiotics, immunoglobulin etc can only be administered by an RN. Don't risk your license
  6. by   ®Nurse
    Starting and discontinuing IV's,
    hanging blood, as well as large volumes such as Normal Saline and Lactated Ringers, flushing the IV line with NS, as well as connecting the IV tubing for such is well within a California IV certified LVN's scope of practice.

    IV pushes of any type of medication, and hanging of any type of medication is not within the scope of a California LVN IV certified.

    Please correct me if I am wrong, however, I used to be an IV certified, Blood Withdrawal certified California LVN.
  7. by   NRSKarenRN
    moved to our california nurses forum as specific for this states lvn regs.

    lvn'a who complete iv certifiction course approved by bon may administer bloood products
    see regs: http://www.bvnpt.ca.gov/pdf/vnregs.pdf
  8. by   Cuddleswithpuddles
    Hi tketels,

    Congrats on getting your LVN license!

    This is a sticky situation indeed. Although CA LVNs with IV certifications can give blood products, I am not sure that extends to immunoglobulins. Yes, it's obtained from blood but, if I were in your shoes, I would have the board spell it out for me in black and white.

    Kudos to you for taking the time to verify that this is safe for you and, ultimately, your future patients!

    See the link below:


    Scope of practice and nursing education questions are generally answered by the nursing education consultants (NEC) in the Board's Education Unit.
    You may call the Education Unit secretary directly at (916) 263-7843 and ask to speak to an NEC;
    Mail your inquiry to the Board's Sacramento office at
    Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians
    2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 205
    Sacramento, CA 95833

    E-mail the Board's Webmaster at bvnpt@dca.ca.gov; NOTE: If you e-mail your inquiry, please provide your full name and mailing address in addition to your e-mail address.
  9. by   nursel56
    Always best to check with the source as above. That way you won't run into problems from people giving incorrect information, or mistaking their hospital policies for scope of practice! Best wishes, it sounds like an interesting job!
  10. by   tketels
    Thank you for all of the quick responses!
  11. by   tketels
    I am shadowing the LVN that works at this neurologists office tomorrow! Trying to master some concepts she might expect me to know. I am researching immunoglobulin, phlebitis, infiltration, care of a port and procedure for IV and port access immunoglubulin (want to refresh and make sure I am ready). Any advice for what else I should be ready for? Thank you all so much, so happy to be part of the nursing community!