BIO 202 at RIO (online)?
- 0May 16, '08 by RobynBobbinI'm trying to decide if I should take BIO 202 online at RIO this summer.
I checked out the mini syllabus and the mention of only 2 tests and essay questions kind of scared me off.
Anyone taken it there? Was it really hard?
I would to be able to get it out of the way. If I finish BIO 202 & the CNA course this summer I could get into nursing school in Jan. If I don't, I'd have to wait until Fall 09. Thanks.
- 9,504 Visits
- 0May 16, '08 by MassagetoRNHi,
I don't mean to scare you, but I took the 8 week version of this exact class. I failed it the first time around, and the second I barely got a C. Its absolutely insane!!! You basically teach yourself, and the text is extremely upper level. I don't recommend it at all! With the 8 week class, the week is divided in half. Sun-Wed you read a chapter, about 40 pages and then take do a couple of lab assignments and maybe a quiz. The second half of the week, Thurs-Sat you read another chpt, 40 pages, take a quiz and write an essay. The instructor you get makes a huge difference. The 1st time around, he hated my essays. The second time around with a different teacher, I submitted the exact same essays and got much better grades. Again, I don't recommend this class, as I even wrote the college stating it shouldn't be offered in an 8 week format. If you do attempt is, take no other classes and be prepared to spend 20+ hours a week on this class. Sorry!
- 0May 17, '08 by HJS27Depends on you. How much time do you have? If you have lots of other demands on your time, the class will be quite a challenge...lots of information in a short time, and you really need to retain the information as all your nursing courses build on it. What kind of learner are you? You basically need to be able to teach the information to yourself...if you are an independent learner who picks up and retains information quickly, you probably have what it takes to successfully pass this class. Good luck!:wink2:
- 0May 21, '08 by mxemsI took all my pre-reqs on-line. BIO202 was tough. I spent a ton of time in the book reading and re-reading. If you have the time to devote to the class, then I would say go for it. If not, then don't. You really have to dedicate yourself to these on-line science classes. I got a high C. I was dissapointed with it, but I didn't really have the option of a classroom environment either.
- 0May 21, '08 by mcbismarkI also took all my pre-reqs online from Rio...
1) if you haven't taken an online class previously, do not take a difficult class in an accelerated format.
2) if you can not dedicate yourself to this one class completely I would strongly suggest you avoid it.
3) make sure your grade point average can taking a hit from getting a grade lower than you would expect...
Yeah I suspect you can tell I think taking A&P II might be a killer in an accelerated class...
- 0May 21, '08 by KnorremeisjeI took BIO201 online at Rio over 16 weeks. It was terrible. I enjoyed every other class I've taken online, but not this one. Maybe combining it with CHM130 and ENG101 was not a good strategy either. However, I still got a high B and ended up doing okay. However, it did urge me to take BIO202 in person! So I'm taking BIO202 over the summer at Mesa CC.
- 0May 21, '08 by TinkRN8I have to agree with Knorrmeisje and everyone else, I would recommend taking the BIO202 either in person or online through MCC, Gateway, Phoenix...basically any other school but Rio...and definately NOT the accelerated course. I have taken all of my pre-req's through Rio, including Bio 201, which I just finished last month. I absolutely LOVED my instructor, she was awesome. However, the way that Rio structures their anatomy classes in particular is not up to par, in my opinion. You pay almost $50 for the "lab kit", which is the body systems DVD, which was not even really utilized in the course. I mean, one of the main points of anatomy is the dissection and identifying body structures and systems and discussing their physiology. You just aren't going to get that through the Rio courses. I too got a high B, but I came out of the course really wondering if I actually learned anything. It was just completely random, and I was so disappointed. I was expecting so much more out of the class than what I got. I am actually composing an email to send in to the administration letting them know my feelings about the class. Not that they would do anything, but it will make me feel better. I plan on taking 202 either in person at one of the campuses or online through Phoenix College. Anyway, just wanted to add my . Good luck with whatever you decide.
- 0May 22, '08 by mcbismarkQuote from AZMOMO2The mid-term and final did kill mine... high 80s is not what I wanted in A&P... I didn't have much choice in how to take them and get them all done though...I hear Central AZ's Bio 202 is pretty good. I am enrolled to start the Rio one but I am considering the CAC route instead. I just didn't want to have to buy a whole new book but I HATED the Bio 201 format. The final was so freakin' random it nearly killed my whole grade.