Jump to content

Yale GEPN 2021

Posted

You are reading page 44 of Yale GEPN 2021. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

I feel similarly re: my interview. I think it was *fine,* but I, of course, thought of a million other things I wish I could have worked in after the fact. Honestly, I think it's a little challenging to connect over a video chat, and when you think you might only have 30 minutes, and when it feels like everything is riding on your responses! I don't think we can have the same expectations for our interviews as we would have if we were in person (easier said than done!) and need to give ourselves a bit of grace. Also, my interviewer shared with me that this was only the second year they were doing remote interviews, and they're still getting used to it as well. It's going to be hard not to stress over the next two weeks, but we will because we care, and that's a good thing!

Also, @confuseddog I applied to Yale and one other school. To come full circle on one of the threads from back in the fall, the thing that has really tipped the scales to Yale for me is the fact that there is so much conversation around structural racism. I visited my other prospective school and it was about 20 steps behind where Yale appears to be. While the conversations and work around equity can be challenging, I would much rather be in a place where this is happening than where it hasn't even begun. 

Edited by TellMeSomethingGood

14 minutes ago, TellMeSomethingGood said:

I feel similarly re: my interview. I think it was *fine,* but I, of course, thought of a million other things I wish I could have worked in after the fact. Honestly, I think it's a little challenging to connect over a video chat, and when you think you might only have 30 minutes, and when it feels like everything is riding on your responses! I don't think we can have the same expectations for our interviews as we would have if we were in person (easier said than done!) and need to give ourselves a bit of grace. Also, my interviewer shared with me that this was only the second year they were doing remote interviews, and they're still getting used to it as well. It's going to be hard not to stress over the next two weeks, but we will because we care, and that's a good thing!

Also, @confuseddog I applied to Yale and one other school. To come full circle on one of the threads from back in the fall, the thing that has really tipped the scales to Yale for me is the fact that there is so much conversation around structural racism. I visited my other prospective school and it was about 20 steps behind where Yale appears to be. While the conversations and work around equity can be challenging, I would much rather be in a place where this is happening than where it hasn't even begun. 

Very well said. What I wanted to articulate earlier in the thread - I trust the criticisms of the current students/alum, they have been in Yale and lived the culture. What I’m doubting is that other schools are doing a better job. Having been a POC in higher education (and married to one), I doubt any of the elite schools are anywhere near we wish they were. Depressing but true. The exception might be schools in liberal urban centers with strong public interest bents, like NYU (excellent school but not an option for me right now given the COL). 

And I only applied to one other “direct entry into a specialty” program, which has become my strongly preferred route at this point, so crossing everything I have at least one option. 

12 hours ago, secondtimer14 said:

I'm stressing too. It is getting closer though. Ever so slowly. 

FWIW my interviewer mentioned unsolicitedly that they are meeting third week of Jan to discuss decisions, decisions "she guesses" will be first week of Feb. I am hoping with faculty meeting third week, Feb 1 is a strong possibility. Do scholarships come out right away with decisions? I could see that taking a good chunk of extra time to figure out  even if they know who they're admitting.

Financial aid office told me that we will receive merit scholarships when we get our admission decisions!! 

I hope I max on on both financial aid and merit. I have nothing 😞

1 hour ago, confuseddog said:

I hope I max on on both financial aid and merit. I have nothing 😞

Right there with ya. Nothing but debt on my end :/ I hope we all get in and get allll the money 

Hi- I have been following this thread, and the previous years for a while now. I have been hesitant to post as I have applied and interviewed to another school two times, rejected both times – it was the only school I applied to. My heart was severely broken, more the second time. I did not apply to that school this time. This time I applied to a few schools, so I am hoping the odds are in my favor.

First- to everyone that applied Congratulations, you applied to Yale! To those that got interview, you interviewed with YALE! I am so proud of you. We didn’t let stinking thinking get in our way to our dreams.

@confuseddog @birthworker @TellMeSomethingGood  and anyone else I might be leaving out– thank you saying you don’t feel so great about your interviews. I appreciate your being vulnerable. It has helped me post. Last week I saw where people had very conversational interviews, while I think that is great for them and I truly hope it worked to their advantage. I went into mine yesterday hoping, but not expecting it to be more conversational. My interviewer was sweet, smart, and quick on the draw. She was finishing my sentences for me and constantly checking the time also making me feel like she was rushing me. I was asked eight questions that I remember, there was one more that I can’t for the life of me remember, and I think another one- so ten questions. I am over analyzing but that’s like 3 min a question with no small talk. At the end she did stay a few extra min to answer questions. At first she didn’t have time, then I think she realized she the slot after mine was empty- so she took her time answering my questions for her. The first question I asked her was not answered really. But my second one was- they are very aware of issues and they are trying to work on to address them. It is going to take a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. Things are fluid and in constant flow, I think everyone needs to be aware of the situation and I really hope that YSN will put together a written plan so that there some clear guidance in what is going on.

As for my part in the interview- I am very disappointed in myself. I didn’t answer some questions as strongly and confidently as I should have. I know why I want to do this, like the back of my hand.  I started off with my brain, tongue, and mouth not working together and then when I got to the situational questions- I was like a deer in the head lights. I started to wonder do they have a situational question along the lines of- "Can you tell us about the thought process and situation when you gave a good answer to a situational question?" I go from self-doubt, to self-loathing, to hey I did get an interview so I do have something to offer. My heart goes out to each and every one while we wait. I start nutrition next weeks, so hopefully that will help keep me busy. I am jealous of those that already have a yes. I don’t want to have to do this another year.

 

@sfbaby WELCOME, and thank you so much for all that you shared. That must have been challenging, but everything that you mentioned is definitely something that I have felt. This is hard, and your interview sounds like it was especially tough. Remember, though, not to get caught up in the comparisons. It's hard - I do it too. Conversational does not necessarily equal better, and non-conversation does not equal better. We had different interviewers who are all unique, just as we all are - there is no way that any two people had the same experience, and that's a good thing! It also sounds like if your interviewer was finishing your sentences, maybe it means you were on the same page! 

I really admire your resilience for continuing to push forward in pursuit of this dream. This is my first year applying and already I'm chomping at the bit - I can't imagine how eager you must be after three years. I am confident that came through!

Hang in there - everything is out of our hands at this point. Personally, I am taking some time off from my prerequisites until I hear back, and just trying to indulge in all of the things that I haven't been able to do over the last couple months between grinding for the GRE, applications, and coursework. I'm using the next couple of weeks as a chance to put myself first and to get re-grounded (and yes, it's sometimes easier said than done - as I'm sure you know, I do hang out on this message board a bit, so my anxiety is far from controlled!). 

Good luck to you and to everyone, and thank you all for being such a wonderfully supportive community! 

21 minutes ago, sfbaby said:

Hi- I have been following this thread, and the previous years for a while now. I have been hesitant to post as I have applied and interviewed to another school two times, rejected both times – it was the only school I applied to. My heart was severely broken, more the second time. I did not apply to that school this time. This time I applied to a few schools, so I am hoping the odds are in my favor.

First- to everyone that applied Congratulations, you applied to Yale! To those that got interview, you interviewed with YALE! I am so proud of you. We didn’t let stinking thinking get in our way to our dreams.

@confuseddog @birthworker @TellMeSomethingGood  and anyone else I might be leaving out– thank you saying you don’t feel so great about your interviews. I appreciate your being vulnerable. It has helped me post. Last week I saw where people had very conversational interviews, while I think that is great for them and I truly hope it worked to their advantage. I went into mine yesterday hoping, but not expecting it to be more conversational. My interviewer was sweet, smart, and quick on the draw. She was finishing my sentences for me and constantly checking the time also making me feel like she was rushing me. I was asked eight questions that I remember, there was one more that I can’t for the life of me remember, and I think another one- so ten questions. I am over analyzing but that’s like 3 min a question with no small talk. At the end she did stay a few extra min to answer questions. At first she didn’t have time, then I think she realized she the slot after mine was empty- so she took her time answering my questions for her. The first question I asked her was not answered really. But my second one was- they are very aware of issues and they are trying to work on to address them. It is going to take a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. Things are fluid and in constant flow, I think everyone needs to be aware of the situation and I really hope that YSN will put together a written plan so that there some clear guidance in what is going on.

As for my part in the interview- I am very disappointed in myself. I didn’t answer some questions as strongly and confidently as I should have. I know why I want to do this, like the back of my hand.  I started off with my brain, tongue, and mouth not working together and then when I got to the situational questions- I was like a deer in the head lights. I started to wonder do they have a situational question along the lines of- "Can you tell us about the thought process and situation when you gave a good answer to a situational question?" I go from self-doubt, to self-loathing, to hey I did get an interview so I do have something to offer. My heart goes out to each and every one while we wait. I start nutrition next weeks, so hopefully that will help keep me busy. I am jealous of those that already have a yes. I don’t want to have to do this another year.

 

Thank you for sharing this. 

I just want to add - I really do think the interviews were conversational (or not) based on interviewer personality, not how strong a candidate you are. And I too 100% cannot stop thinking about the things I meant to say. 

Best of luck! I think 3 years of applications shows you are determined and confident that this is the path for you. 

FutureFNP-7

Has 2 years experience.

Have they started releasing decisions for those that have interviewed?

@sfbabymy interview went well. I’d like to think that I made a connection with my interviewer. If I get in, remind me to message you/elaborate on how I created the right vibe for my interview right in the beginning minutes. If I don’t get in, then pretend I never posted this... 

22 minutes ago, wp650 said:

@sfbabymy interview went well. I’d like to think that I made a connection with my interviewer. If I get in, remind me to message you/elaborate on how I created the right vibe for my interview right in the beginning minutes. If I don’t get in, then pretend I never posted this... 

@wp650 regardless of if you get in or not, I believe it worked. You feel good about it. So much is our minds! I think your chosen specialty is psych?- so you totally know that. I feel like you should message me regardless- I obviously need to feel better about my interviewing skills and creating the right vibe is a great first step! It is very sweet, kind and thoughtful of you, thank you!

@TellMeSomethingGood- you are very kind and maybe we were in sync:0) Thank you for that. I have decided, to be kinder to myself- like I would be to a friend that went through this process. I have written about what I think I did right and a couple of things that I could have improved on. I am letting it go now- I just feel like I should be getting better at interviewing not worse. Yes 30 minutes goes by pretty fast.

@secondtimer14 Thank you for the welcome! I totally agree that it very much depends on the interviewers personality. I liked my interviewer, don't get me wrong. I should have been better. It is over now and out of our hands. 

@FutureFNP-7- not yet, decisions are not until expected to be release until  February first or that week depending on few different responses.