Who would hire an international nurse?

by lovechild lovechild (New) New

Hey guys,

My situation is I am a new US Resident .

I have been an RN with 13 yrs of experience in my home land, predominantly in ER.

Now that I am awaiting NY and CA licensure, does anyone know of any hospital in particular that would hire me , being I have no US experience.

Thank you

Silverdragon102, BSN

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC. Has 34 years experience. 1 Article; 39,477 Posts

best thing to do is send in your resume and call around

HouTx, BSN, MSN, EdD

Specializes in Critical Care, Education. Has 35 years experience. 9,051 Posts

Take advantage of your background! I would recommend that you obtain certification as a medical interpreter for your native language - here is some information on that process The National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI) . There is an ongoing demand for this type of work due to regulatory requirements. This certification will add value to your resume & also make you eligible for work with one of the "language line" companies that supply interpreters or even with a large employer that may employ their own interpreters.

Other avenues you may wish to explore while you're waiting on your license is ER Tech. Telemetry Tech or phlebotomy - all very do-able for someone with your level of experience!

A note of caution: Please be very careful about referring to yourself as "NURSE" until you are licensed to do so - this is a protected title in many states (including mine). You don't want to accidentally find yourself labeled as an "imposter" since that could end up affecting your ability to obtain a license.

Esme12, ASN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Critical Care, ED, Cath lab, CTPAC,Trauma. Has 42 years experience. 4 Articles; 20,908 Posts

once you are licensed in the US your experience will count. Has your education been evaluated? You said you are a resident....how long have you been here......what type of VISA do you have? is your work experience current? Do you have a Social Security number?

YOU can call your self a nurse for you have a license in your country....you are not a Registered Nurse yet for you have not passed the registration exam for licensure in the US.



4 Posts

I said i am Awaiting licensure for NY and California. Obviously I passed the NCLEX RN with an SSN to be able to do it in the first place. DUH. Thanks for the note on my experience anyway.