Jump to content

WGU RN-BSN 2020 GRADUATE!

Posted

Specializes in Dialysis RN. Has 9 years experience.

Just wanted to update my nurse family and say that I'm done with the WGU RN-BSN program! It was a long and arduous journey..... but it's over now. It took me 1 year and 3 months to complete the program because I worked full time (Monday-Friday) on 2 toxic jobs, and I had to sacrifice my weekends to make it happen. 😢 However, the school's course mentors and course instructors were very helpful, and I appreciated their contributions. I wish much success to everyone else's journey. 👨‍🎓

Congratulations! I’m supposed to be starting the BSN Pre-licensure next week. Not excited to be doing yet another couple of years of schooling but hopefully it’ll be over before I know it. What are some of your next steps and plans?

NurseEffort, ADN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Dialysis RN. Has 9 years experience.

49 minutes ago, chempansy said:

Congratulations! I’m supposed to be starting the BSN Pre-licensure next week. Not excited to be doing yet another couple of years of schooling but hopefully it’ll be over before I know it. What are some of your next steps and plans?

My next step is to rest! Biochemistry took me out!🤣 LOL. Maybe in about 2 years I will consider a MSN in education to become an instructor, but not a moment before. I hope you do well also. You can do it!

2 hours ago, NurseEffort said:

My next step is to rest! Biochemistry took me out!🤣 LOL. Maybe in about 2 years I will consider a MSN in education to become an instructor, but not a moment before. I hope you do well also. You can do it!

Oh my! I’m definitely a little concerned about the Biochem course. Got any tips or tricks that helped you get through the course?

meanmaryjean, DNP, RN

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia. Has 44 years experience.

8 hours ago, chempansy said:

Oh my! I’m definitely a little concerned about the Biochem course. Got any tips or tricks that helped you get through the course?

Attend ALL of the cohorts and make 1:1 appointments with your instructor at least twice a week. Don't put off starting it either- because if you run out of time in your term and don't complete it- you lose the chance to EVER move into the clinical part of the program. (Pre-licensure only policy)

Adri0418, ADN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Hemodialysis. Has 4 years experience.

Congratulations!! I am on track to graduate and be done May 31st😀

36 minutes ago, Adri0418 said:

Congratulations!! I am on track to graduate and be done May 31st😀

Yay! What do you think of the program? Where do you plan on working? 

Adri0418, ADN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Hemodialysis. Has 4 years experience.

I really like the program. The pace is good because you can do as much or as little in a week. I was able to do 17 units in my 1st term. My mentor is amazing and is available to answer questions. There have been weeks where I am so busy at work with COVID-19 patients that I only am able to dedicate 1 day to course material and other weeks where I get through a lot. So it is flexible with your schedule. I Don't know how the prelicensure program is and it study habits will be different but overall I have really enjoyed the program so far. Next steps for me is wait a bit and see if the NP Program will come to California, if not within the next 2 years, I will start my MSN in Nursing Education. I Really love my job and area of nursing so I may try to get a job teaching new RN classes with my current employer or as a professor teaching clinicals. So many avenues out there! 

kswick

Specializes in Gastroenterology. Has 12 years experience.

Hi, I am in the process of applying to the RN-BSN program. The information mentioned "field experiences" what does that mean and what did it entail?

Also, how much writing in in the course?

Congrats on your success! 

Edited by kswick

NurseEffort, ADN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Dialysis RN. Has 9 years experience.

24 minutes ago, kswick said:

Hi, I am in the process of applying to the RN-BSN program. The information mentioned "field experiences" what does that mean and what did it entail?

Also, how much writing in in the course?

Congrats on your success! 

The field experience course is after you complete the previous Community Health course. In field experience you will obtain "work hours" on an approved topic and then make an appointment with the course instructor to see the best way to obtain those hours. And as far as the papers, some of my papers were short like 6 pages and some were longer, like 15+. It all depends on the content material that you're writing about. But overall, it's very doable and you got this. 😉

NurseEffort, ADN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Dialysis RN. Has 9 years experience.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:45 PM, Adri0418 said:

Congratulations!! I am on track to graduate and be done May 31st😀

Thank you, and you can do it! 👍

JR78

Specializes in Er. Has 5 years experience.

Hello can you tell me more about the program. My advisor just ended up confusing me. LOL. Is OA and PA required for every course.