Jump to content

Uworld vs Saunders rationales

Posted

I've been using Uworld as my main study tool, but I have been doing questions out of my Saunders book. I'm confused because some of the questions/rationales on Uworld are wrong from the Saunders point of view. For the Nclex, which rationales should I go with. An example would be teaching Warfin. Uworld says it is ok to keep eating Vit K foods on a limited basis but Saunders and other review questions says to avoid it. Which would be the correct answer to with if some kind of question popped up on Nclex. Another example would be taking a sputum sample. Uworld says just to rinse with water but Saunders says to brush your teeth and rinse, but it never specified if it was with water or mouthwash.. Is the Nclex more in tune with Uworld rationales because they are so specific or is it just general, avoid Vit. K foods.

From my knowledge of nursing school, one taking warfarin does not need to strictly avoid vitamin K, but needs an overall consistent, balanced diet. For example, if someone normally did not have a large intake of a vitamin K, this person would not want to start consuming a lot of leafy greens.

I'd like to see what other people say too though!

pmabraham, BSN, RN

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care. Has 3 years experience.

uWorld is up to date. If you are going by a printed book...

We learned in RN school that it is ok to eat foods containing vitamin K when a patient is on Warfarin as long as the intake is consistent. We were told specifically never ever ever to tell a patient to avoid eating foods containing vitamin K.

Don't worry about splitting hairs between rinse mouth vs. brush and rinse for a sputum sample.

My school taught us to avoid vit K foods. So my question is, if this should happen to be on nclex, which would you chose? Avoid vit k foods or balance/limit it? I"m just nervous if I answer it wrong, based on a different rationale, I'll get a question below passing level.

pmabraham, BSN, RN

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care. Has 3 years experience.

My school taught us to avoid vit K foods. So my question is, if this should happen to be on nclex, which would you chose? Avoid vit k foods or balance/limit it? I"m just nervous if I answer it wrong, based on a different rationale, I'll get a question below passing level.

My experience to date as a RN is that the current practice (uWorld is current; printed book is out of date more often than not) is to encourage consistency in the amount of foods containing vitamin K.

NICUismylife, ADN, BSN, RN

Specializes in NICU, RNC.

We learned in RN school that it is ok to eat foods containing vitamin K when a patient is on Warfarin as long as the intake is consistent. We were told specifically never ever ever to tell a patient to avoid eating foods containing vitamin K.

This is also what I was taught. Consistent intake. If they eat a salad every day, continue to do so. Don't discourage K, just stay consistent with the intake.

I got this question when I took the Nclex... The only option was to inform my patient to avoid foods containing Vitamin K. However, if there was an option like everyone else said above I would have gone with stay with the normal intake of vitamin K daily.

Beldar_the_Cenobite, CNA

Has 3 years experience.

Are these apps you can use for nursing school? If so, can you send a link?

Hey shelbym01, have you taken the NCLEX yet? I recently posted on here wondering if anyone has only utilized Uworld and how well that supplemented their test.

pmabraham, BSN, RN

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care. Has 3 years experience.

uWorld compromised 90% of what I used to study for the boards. The remaining 10% was broken down into reviewing LaCharity's excellent book on prioritization and delegation (7% of my time), and ATI (3% of my time). I took my boards on the morning of January 17th, and found out I passed on the 18th.

No matter the question bank, I strongly recommend reviewing the rationales of correct and incorrect answers.

Beldar_the_Cenobite, CNA

Has 3 years experience.

uWorld compromised 90% of what I used to study for the boards. The remaining 10% was broken down into reviewing LaCharity's excellent book on prioritization and delegation (7% of my time), and ATI (3% of my time). I took my boards on the morning of January 17th, and found out I passed on the 18th.

No matter the question bank, I strongly recommend reviewing the rationales of correct and incorrect answers.

Do you know how to get the Uworld app? or book?

pmabraham, BSN, RN

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care. Has 3 years experience.

uworld.com