Jump to content

UBC BSN September 2019 Applicants

Specializes in UBC Nursing Class of 2021.

You are reading page 32 of UBC BSN September 2019 Applicants. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

1 minute ago, nursing2424 said:

have you guys seen the schedule? do we actually have labs all those days and clinical all those days?? or is that just a general indication of what we could be assigned?

All the labs are accurate because we need a lot of training before we start clinicals in September! Clinicals will be either tues/weds OR sat/sun

10 minutes ago, sss29 said:

All the labs are accurate because we need a lot of training before we start clinicals in September! Clinicals will be either tues/weds OR sat/sun

oh, thank god! for a second I thought it was just going to be 7 days a week for the next few months

1 minute ago, nursing2424 said:

oh, thank god! for a second I thought it was just going to be 7 days a week for the next few months

haha i know!!! the schedule looks crazy

mb96, BSN

Specializes in UBC Nursing Class of 2021.

22 hours ago, nursing2424 said:

oh, thank god! for a second I thought it was just going to be 7 days a week for the next few months

Ahah I know 😛 the schedule makes it looks scary! The labs are supposed to be 2 hours in a day — it just depends on the timeslot we get. Once clinical starts we only get 1 day of labs and are only on campus for 2.5 days per week, phew.

Edited by mb96

On 7/18/2019 at 3:30 PM, Kathleen L said:

Hello @Tanner Allen! When you deferred last year did you still book your mask fitting, criminal record check and immunization? I got an email saying I need to do these to secure my seat.

hey! i actually never deferred my admission and will be starting this fall 🙂

Hey guys, I was trying to figure out reading break for us! (I know very far haha) Does anyone know if we would get family day off (feb 17 2020)? and the weekend after reading break starts (Feb 22 &23 2020)? I feel like the weekend before the 17th we could possibly get scheduled for clinical but I'm wondering what the general thing is for after?

On 7/9/2019 at 8:52 PM, Kathleen L said:

Does any one know if working part-time is possible during program, even 8 hours a week? - let me know 😄

Hello Kathleen L! Just wanted to comment that it is possible to work part time during the program. I graduated this year and I know some of my cohort were working part time. However, I would suggest to not work too many hours especially the 1st term. 1st term is really heavy and loaded with so much information and all the new things that are going on during the clinical. Imo, 1st term was the heaviest and as the term went I thought the load got lighter and lighter. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hello nursing2424, as for the breaks, you can look at current cohort or previous cohort's schedule and see what they do with the break. You can look through schedule by going to nursing.ubc.ca, click undergraduate program, under the menu on the left, click 'BSN program schedules.' For the current cohort's January schedule, click 2018 cohort and it will show January 2019 schedule.

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting but I have been following this thread for a good bit now! I was wondering if anyone else on here who was initially rejected also received an email from Ruxandra about the potential of a seat opening up and indicating intent to still attend the program? Has this ever happened before?

Edited by Megisia

Hi everyone! I read this post start to finish... I'm applying for the 2020 cycle for the first time and I was hoping for some helpful tips because I am SO nervous! And if you could please tell me what your GPA was! Mine is 3.7 and I have not completed my degree, only about 60 credits.

Thanks in advance and congrats to those who got accepted!

mb96, BSN

Specializes in UBC Nursing Class of 2021.

On 8/17/2019 at 1:06 AM, bbbeee said:

Hi everyone! I read this post start to finish... I'm applying for the 2020 cycle for the first time and I was hoping for some helpful tips because I am SO nervous! And if you could please tell me what your GPA was! Mine is 3.7 and I have not completed my degree, only about 60 credits.

Thanks in advance and congrats to those who got accepted!

Hi @bbbeee!

Sorry for not seeing this message earlier -- Nursing school is busy!! But don't be nervous ❤️ I know the application process seems daunting!

Sadly, I have no idea what my admission GPA was since it's most likely calculated differently by UBC Admissions. I do know it was in the 80s? I didn't complete my FNH degree either (was going to graduate next year but I got in for the 2019 cycle)!

For supplemental tips, I'd say describe WHY you're passionate about Nursing and what ECs/volunteering/life experiences inspire you to pursue this path/will benefit you while pursuing this path. What skills do you think you can bring to Nursing? Do you have high interpersonal skills? Unique skills? Unique experiences?

Nursing isn't a science or an art: it's both! The good Nursing applicant doesn't fit a single mold. It's up to you to show UBC why you'll make a good nurse~

I'm applying for the 2020 intake. How much volunteering experiences do I need? I feel like I don't have enough when I compare myself to all the applicants on the forum

mb96, BSN

Specializes in UBC Nursing Class of 2021.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:26 AM, EtherealRailgun said:

Hello Kathleen L! Just wanted to comment that it is possible to work part time during the program. I graduated this year and I know some of my cohort were working part time. However, I would suggest to not work too many hours especially the 1st term. 1st term is really heavy and loaded with so much information and all the new things that are going on during the clinical. Imo, 1st term was the heaviest and as the term went I thought the load got lighter and lighter. Let me know if you have any other questions!

@Kathleen L ^^Seconded! I'm in the lower cohort (admitted summer 2019, Class of 2021) and Term 1 is VERY busy!! Term 2, which we're 1/4 of the way through, is very flexible since the workload is lighter/you have more free time, and most people take on more part-time work or take online courses to finish any of their previous degrees etc 🙂

Hey everyone! I'm just wondering if UBC is still in session with all this COVID stuff - how are you handling coursework and clinicals?

mb96, BSN

Specializes in UBC Nursing Class of 2021.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:24 AM, Hopeful_Nurse2018 said:

Hey everyone! I'm just wondering if UBC is still in session with all this COVID stuff - how are you handling coursework and clinicals?

Still in session, but online! Tbh, it's really stressful -- UBC Nursing is scrambling to solidify their decisions and it makes us anxious; waiting for more updates gets annoying sometimes. I much more prefer in-person exams, clinicals and labs -- exam changes, for example, means much less time to check over answers.

Edited by mb96

Hi there! I am currently a science student at UBC, heading into my second year in September. I was just wondering if any of you can comment on the new UBC Nursing curriculum? I know they changed it a few years ago, and was just wondering if it's better or about the same now, especially compared to the other programs in Vancouver, such as BCIT or Langara? Are UBC-V Nursing grads still as "clueless" as people used to say they were? Thank you!

×

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.

OK