Will Travel Co. train rn for new skills?

  1. HI I was wondering if there were any travel companys out there that would place rns in a hospital that would teach a new skill. I have years of mom/baby experience and would like to go into L&D for a short term assignment. I did at one time worked in L&D for a short time but would need to be retrained.
  2. Visit MIKIRA profile page

    About MIKIRA

    Joined: Sep '05; Posts: 2


  3. by   fergus51
    I have never heard of that. Most reputable companies require at least one year of experience in a specialty area since the hospitals won't accept you without it. Our hospital requires 2 years.
  4. by   Hellllllo Nurse
    A fellow traveler of mine works chronic dialysis, and she did get one contract in which the facility trained her in acutes. I wanted a similar deal, and asked my recruiter. He said it happens, but is rare. He says facilities are only willing to do this when they are so desperate for help that all the managers are working the floor.
  5. by   suzanne4
    It is one thing if you are already familiar with the dialysis procedure and equipment. Only difference between acute and chronic, is usually how stable the patient is and that you are only doing one run at a time, versus three or more.

    Most Labor and Delivery travel assignments actually want three or more current years of experience in L&D. You would need an orientation longer than what the travel assignment would normally be for. And that just is not cost effective for the hospital. The hospital is the one that is paying for you, not the agency.
  6. by   nightingale
    I have seen Agencies partner with the facility to provide Preceptor Programs and training; it was usually with a long term contract with a Strong Nurse with many years experience but trying a new Specialty.

    If it is something you really want to try, you would have better luck in a large city.
  7. by   suzanne4
    You will be able to find a two year contract that will train you, but it won't be a travel contract. If you stay for more than one year in the same place, then you are considered a resident of that area, and no longer fall under the traveler rules. You become a resident of the new state.