Jump to content

Texas student nurses/new grads

Posted

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing. Has 12 years experience.

The Texas governor signed an order allowing new grads to practice and reducing the amount of clinical time that student nurses must have to graduate, citing the pandemic.

I would encourage all new nurses or nurses pressed into service in a practice to which they're new or unfamiliar to review our BON's decision making model: https://www.bon.texas.gov/pdfs/publication_pdfs/Scope of Practice Decision-Making Model - DMM.pdf

In Texas we have something called Safe Harbor, and if you're one of these new nurses I'd encourage you to review: https://www.bon.texas.gov/forms_safe_harbor.asp

Best of luck to all y'all!

JadedCPN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU. Has 15 years experience.

5 hours ago, ruby_jane said:

The Texas governor signed an order allowing new grads to practice and reducing the amount of clinical time that student nurses must have to graduate, citing the pandemic.

I would encourage all new nurses or nurses pressed into service in a practice to which they're new or unfamiliar to review our BON's decision making model: https://www.bon.texas.gov/pdfs/publication_pdfs/Scope of Practice Decision-Making Model - DMM.pdf

In Texas we have something called Safe Harbor, and if you're one of these new nurses I'd encourage you to review: https://www.bon.texas.gov/forms_safe_harbor.asp

Best of luck to all y'all!

Just based on my experience in Houston, as well as what I've heard from friends in Austin and Dallas, I completely disagree with this. Many of us are losing hours at our jobs due to low census. But things could be completely different in more rural areas.

A Hit With The Ladies, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psych. Has 5 years experience.

I'm a Houstonian, and I'm hoping this allows for accommodations for NP programs. I have Summer clinicals and cannot be delayed yet again!

ruby_jane, BSN, RN

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing. Has 12 years experience.

On 5/1/2020 at 6:10 PM, JadedCPN said:

Just based on my experience in Houston, as well as what I've heard from friends in Austin and Dallas, I completely disagree with this. Many of us are losing hours at our jobs due to low census. But things could be completely different in more rural areas.

There is not a nursing shortage in our big cities. This is true. There is a shortage of acute care nurses and there is a shortage of hospitals willing to train up ICU, Telemetry, etc. nurses (my ICU training was six weeks).

I was sharing this because as a new nurse they never taught me about safe harbor...

JadedCPN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU. Has 15 years experience.

1 hour ago, ruby_jane said:

There is not a nursing shortage in our big cities. This is true. There is a shortage of acute care nurses and there is a shortage of hospitals willing to train up ICU, Telemetry, etc. nurses (my ICU training was six weeks).

I was sharing this because as a new nurse they never taught me about safe harbor...

Absolutely! I didn’t mean to distract from Safe Harbor. I moved to Texas after being a nurse for 11 years and it was the first time ever I heard about Safe Harbor. I wish every state had it.