double major nursing and general studies

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hello everyone!

I am currently a senior in nursing school. This fall semester I took pediatrics critical care and OB. I passed pediatrics and critical care, but I had to drop OB. I work full time (36 hours and two 12 hours of clinicals) and I just got very burnt out. I'm kicking myself now, but at the time it was the best thing to make sure I didn't fail out. So now instead of graduating in May 2019 I am looking at December 2019 with August 2019 being a possibility. Before I changed my major to nursing I was a business major, and I have the option to graduate in May 2019 with an interdisciplinary studies degree then finish my nursing degree in December if august isn't an option (they only admit 20 students for august graduation). Do you think I should take this opportunity to graduate in May and be able to walk (there is no ceremony in August) and have the interdisciplinary studies degree. Ultimately I do want to have a business one day, there are no minors in nursing school so my business credits are essentially wasted I just feel like I've been in college so long and I have nothing to show for it "credit wise" maybe it would make me feel better if I had my degree.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

If you're burnt out and have too much on your plate, it makes no sense to add more. Decide what you want and focus on that.

Hi! So because I have to retake OB next semester, I have to take it alone, and it is only a 6 week course . I will not be working full time and I only have that one class in the Spring, adding three more classes I can have my BS in interdisciplinary studies

Hi! So because I have to retake OB next semester, I have to take it alone, and it is only a 6 week course . I will not be working full time and I only have that one class in the Spring, adding three more classes I can have my BS in interdisciplinary studies

I'd go for it. If you want your own business, you're going to want to move up into administrative positions, that degree would only help your argument for why you deserve that promotion.

Specializes in Emergency / Disaster.

No no no. Before you willy nilly decide to graduate you need to understand what financial ramifications that will have on you completing your nursing degree. Once you have obtained that first degree, you no longer qualify for pell grant or other undergrad goodies. So - if you plan to finish just at a different time - suck it up and don't graduate with that one degree a semester early. Talk to your financial aid counselor to see how your specific case works out. Knowledge is power and in this case - it makes a GIANT difference in your financial aid package. I speak from experience!

I misread the original post. Talk to your school, you can probably get the classes out of the way and graduate with the double major in December. That's what I thought your plan was.

Specializes in NICU, RNC.
No no no. Before you willy nilly decide to graduate you need to understand what financial ramifications that will have on you completing your nursing degree. Once you have obtained that first degree, you no longer qualify for pell grant or other undergrad goodies. So - if you plan to finish just at a different time - suck it up and don't graduate with that one degree a semester early. Talk to your financial aid counselor to see how your specific case works out. Knowledge is power and in this case - it makes a GIANT difference in your financial aid package. I speak from experience!

This is exactly what I was going to say. If you are getting financial aid of any kind, you'll need to wait on making any bachelors degree "official"

+ Add a Comment