Understanding the Risk of Firearms: Suicide vs. Homicide

Gun violence is a hot topic these days. Turn on the TV for any length of time, and you will hear stories of firearm homicide. But, did you know that firearm suicide is more common in the U.S? Learn about the statistics of this public health issue and if nurses have a role in the firearms debate. Nurses General Nursing Article

Updated:  

If you watch the news or TV shows, you might be led to believe that there is a high risk of firearm homicide. Researchers from Northeastern University, University of Washington, and Harvard University conducted a study into the perceptions of gun violence and the leading cause of death in the United States. They found that the presence of a firearm in a home increases the risk for suicide, which is more common than firearm homicide.

So, what's behind our misconception about gun violence and how do you educate the community about the real dangers?

Looking at the Numbers

According to the Brady Campaign, the oldest organization in the gun violence prevention movement, 96 people die every day in the United States from gun violence. Of these 96, 34 are murdered, and 59 die from suicide. That means nearly twice as many people die from firearm suicide compared to firearm homicide. There are also 246 people shot daily who survive - 183 are injured in an attack, 49 are shot unintentionally, 4 are shot in a legal intervention, and 11 survive a suicide attempt.

A 2014 study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine reported that access to firearms in the home increases your risk of violent death by suicide, homicide, or unintentional injury. There was a direct correlation to the risk of suicide among people who had access to firearms compared to those without access. The study also reported that the US has one of the highest rates of access to firearms in the world.

Could impulsivity and the ease of access to a gun place some people at a higher risk of committing suicide or homicide? The study suggests that it's possible. Yet, there are no hard data to support the claim. States with the highest rates of firearms, also have a higher percentage of firearm violence compared to non-firearm violence.

Is it a Public Health Issue?

According to the American Public Health Association (APHA), gun violence is an issue that is deeply rooted in our culture and must be addressed through a public health approach. Violence research should be conducted to ensure that guns don't fall into the wrong hands. APHA also believes that access to mental health services must be expanded to those who need it most to decrease the number of suicides by firearms.

Do Nurses Have a Role In the Firearms Debate?

Every day nurses in Emergency Rooms across the country come face-to-face with the gun violence issue. They might deal with victims of homicide, suicide, and unintentional shootings.

Nurses who work in schools have become far too familiar with the issue over the past few years. The National Association of School Nurses released a Position Brief in which they state that school shootings in the US are an urgent public health crisis. The NASN advocates for safe school environments for all children and recognizes the emotional and physical effects that gun violence has on our students. This doesn't account for nurses in the ICU, rehabilitation units, and many other settings that might care for gunshot victims.

Unfortunately, healthcare workers can fall victim to gun violence, too. Recent research has highlighted the prevalence of suicide among nurses. And, gun violence in hospitals and other healthcare facilities seems to happen at an alarming rate. In fact, just a few weeks ago, a young doctor was killed in the parking lot of Mercy Hospital in Chicago at the hands of her former fiancee.

What Can You Do To Help?

Gun violence is a hot political debate these days. No matter which side of the aisle you stand on, as a nurse there are a few things you can do to help keep patients safe:

1. Educate patients about the risks inherent in having a gun in their home. It's particularly important to speak to parents of young children about safe storage of all firearms.
  2. Connect patients with mental health concerns to services as quickly as possible. Many patients have mental health needs that if left unattended can quickly lead to violence towards themselves or others.
  3. Participate in violence prevention and intervention programs at your hospital or facility. None of us want to discuss or consider that a shooting could happen at our workplace, but unfortunately, the risk is real.
  4. Write to your elected officials to make your viewpoints on the issues known.
  5. Advocate for more research to be done to increase our understanding of homicide, suicide, and those who commit both.

What are your thoughts on the firearm statistics? Do you feel that nurses have a place in the firearm debate? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Specializes in Mental Health, Gerontology, Palliative.
A

Seriously, remember that the gun isn't the problem. It's an inanimate object that some people have come to focus upon as the cause of violence. In other countries where guns are highly restricted, knives are now the focus.

Yea, however not many mass knifings with the mortality rates of mass shootings.

In Australia after the Port Arthur massacre, laws around gun control were tightened and wah la, no more significant mass shootings

Yea, however not many mass knifings with the mortality rates of mass shootings.

In Australia after the Port Arthur massacre, laws around gun control were tightened and wah la, no more significant mass shootings

Australia's homicide rate has been steady since the 1970s. There have been mass shootings, along with other mass murders without firearms, since the "buyback" so it didn't stop homicide, it did not stop homicides with the use of firearms even....because criminals do not care. No, they do not have the same homicide rates as we do in the US but that could also be due to the size of each country. Australia has 23,232,413 (July 2017 est.) people versus the US population at 326,625,791 (July 2017 est.).

Rape, assault, auto theft, burglaries, robbery, suicide rate, and total crime victims are higher in Australia than in the US. Fear of crime by citizens is higher in Australia.

Australian vs United States Crime Stats Compared

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care.

The 2nd Amendment was written after liberating our nation from tyrants which is the exact intent of the amendment. So that legal citizens who are willing to take up (buy) arms and ammunition and keep those weapons in good order (WELL REGULATED) become the militia at the ready to not only defend their own lives and property but our country from tyrants. And, those rights "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

A lot of people who are either afraid of guns or buying into the liberal media will focus on the words "well regulated" thinking that means laws and regulations; it DOES NOT! See https://constitutioncenter.org/images/uploads/news/CNN_Aug_11.pdf

"Well regulated" means being ready, being able to fight, willing to maintain the very arms that are being owned and used. The words "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" means just that -- no legal restrictions!

Now as it relates to being out in the field, I find cases where I go into the home (I'm a hospice visiting nurse) where there's a sign on the front of the house "Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again" and I smile. I'm not afraid because the issue isn't guns, it's the heart, and I'm happy to be a service to those who respect the 2nd amendment vs. trying to dismantle it and misunderstanding both the words "inalienable" as part of "inalienable rights" and the words, "shall not be infringed."

27 minutes ago, pmabraham said:

The 2nd Amendment was written after liberating our nation from tyrants which is the exact intent of the amendment. So that legal citizens who are willing to take up (buy) arms and ammunition and keep those weapons in good order (WELL REGULATED) become the militia at the ready to not only defend their own lives and property but our country from tyrants. And, those rights "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

A lot of people who are either afraid of guns or buying into the liberal media will focus on the words "well regulated" thinking that means laws and regulations; it DOES NOT! See https://constitutioncenter.org/images/uploads/news/CNN_Aug_11.pdf

"Well regulated" means being ready, being able to fight, willing to maintain the very arms that are being owned and used. The words "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" means just that -- no legal restrictions!

Now as it relates to being out in the field, I find cases where I go into the home (I'm a hospice visiting nurse) where there's a sign on the front of the house "Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again" and I smile. I'm not afraid because the issue isn't guns, it's the heart, and I'm happy to be a service to those who respect the 2nd amendment vs. trying to dismantle it and misunderstanding both the words "inalienable" as part of "inalienable rights" and the words, "shall not be infringed."

" So that legal citizens who are willing to take up (buy) arms and ammunition and keep those weapons in good order (WELL REGULATED)"

Interesting- "Well regulated" in well regulated militia means anybody who keeps their guns well maintained? Do really feel that passes any kind of straight face test? First time I have heard that

"The words "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" means just that -- no legal restrictions!"

Are you really advocating for no legal restrictions? You think it would be a good idea for a convicted violent felon to be able to buy a fully automatic weapon with armor piercing bullets and carry it into a school? That would be "no legal restrictions".

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
12 hours ago, pmabraham said:

I hardly consider an Op-Ed piece from the Mainstream Media (CNN) evidence based.

I am a gun owner but was actually pleased to see Colt will no longer sell the AR-15 to civilians.

My guns are locked up but my son has been shooting small game and clay pigeons since he was eleven. He knows how to safely operate, break down, clean and reassemble all the weapons we own.

Hppy

The evidence is in the Bill of Rights itself. I'm glad you own a gun and you are teaching your son good information about guns. Yet, keep in mind the 2nd amendment wasn't put into place for hunting but as protection against government tyranny.