Article about a doctor who went through recovery

Nurses Recovery

Published

Specializes in Critical Care and ED.

I thought you guys might find this article interesting. It's about a doctor in MA who went through recovery and what he thinks about the 12 step program:

Former opioid addict turned Harvard doctor hits back at faith-based rehabs | Daily Mail Online

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Thank you for sharing this. It's fascinating.

It is interesting. MAT was not the way for me, I tried and continued to use/abuse it for many years. And despite what the professionals claim, there is marked withdrawal and it's very hard to get off of. I was still a slave to my addiction, couldn't go anywhere without my ball and chain, or the approval of the doctor who prescribed it for me. I decided to give abstinence another try. The same second, third and forth chances I gave opiates. I feel very sorry for anyone who can never manage to again learn to live without drugs.

Specializes in OR.

I did find that in interesting article in that he was not bashing 12 step methodology but rather making the point that rehab programs (including those favored by monitoring programs and as we have seen the monitoring programs themselves) refuse to acknowledge that there are alternatives to straight up abstinence and 12 step indoctrination for all comers regardless of the reason you are there. He points out that the very profession that considers addiction a disease and has researched the points of MAT turns around and ignores it in favor of blind trust in 12 step when treating its own. This is something those of us swimming in the sewer of these programs have wondered why for a long time. I find it refreshing to see someone that has been on the other side of the table admit that there are other methods. Now, if only that point can be made throughout the rest of the world of monitoring, there must maybe, might be some progress made in how people are treated. I know I will be long gone from this hades when that day comes but maybe by that time, the next person with mental health issues that comes along won't be treated like a substance user out of convenience and money. Maybe by then that person will be able to expect real help. Articles like this are a peep in the wilderness. Maybe it's a start....

Enough pre-coffee musing for this hour of the morning now...

Specializes in Emergency.

Read: "The Sober Truth" by Dodes...says it all...

Rock,

Thanks for the article!!! I almost don't know what to say about this that I haven't already said. Basically we are supposed to be medical professionals who engage in evidence based proven treatment programs for our patients. This 12-step Voodoo is based on the hallucinations of a drunk guy from almost a century ago. The "treatment" has been subject to no (or almost no) scientific scrutiny and the few studies that have been performed show that the quit rate for 12-steppers is within a couple percentage points of people who quit on their own. The faith-healing ramblings work about 5-8% of the time according to Dr. Dodes (thanks again Malamud) excellent book. This is great is you are one of the very few this works for. However, saying 12 step is the only way to recovery shuts out about 95% of the folks who need help. I think its time to look for something else besides waiting for some voodoo "higher power" (a Christian god who is BSing who?) to relieve people of the obsession to fill in the blank and look for something that might stand a better chance of working for the masses

+ Add a Comment